Re: SV: [ANE-2] Request for assistance with identification of journals

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
      To: ANE-2
      On: Abbreviations
      From: Bruce

      Gary, to my mind quite naturally, had assumed that "C.A.G" was a journal
      reference. Then:

      GARY: I have finally determined that C. A. G. is not a journal reference as
      I had been assuming but actually refers to the 19th-century book Chaldean
      Account of Genesis by George Smith. My apologies for the mistake.

      BRUCE: This, I suggest, is the problem with the convention (which, as a
      foreigner, I note is widespread among Near Eastern professionals) of using
      acronyms BOTH for journals, which is standard in all fields as far as I
      know, and ALSO for books frequently referred to. In our practice (and as a
      specific recommendation for our journal, in Chinese and comparative ancient
      history), we recommend confining acronyms to journals (with at most an
      extension to series, as a sort of quasi-journal), and referring to
      frequently used single books by their author's surname alone; in this case,
      it would have been understood that "Smith" alone or with a page number
      referred to the George Smith work.

      Besides disasmbiguation, one reason for the distinction is that the list of
      books frequently referred to is liable to vary with the author's subject,
      and thus are likely to be temporary and ad hoc conventions, whereas the
      journals are there for all users (and there are standard lists of their
      acronyms).

      Respectfully suggested,

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst
    • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18 4:02 AM
        Hi.

        Based on a library record (which merely mentions offprint) it would appear that the Finnish Assyriologist Knut Tallqvist (1865-1949) published a book review of Studien zu den Babylonischen Texten, Heft VI B by the pioneer Assyriologist Johann Strassmaier. I would appreciate any assistance in identifying the publication that the book review appeared in. It possibly appeared circa 1892. Thanks for any assistance.

        Regards,
        Gary Thompson
      • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
          Hi,

          I have been informed that a portrait photograph of the astronomer and pioneer assyriologist
          Joseph Epping SJ appeared in the obituary for Joseph Epping by Alexander Baumgartner SJ in
          Zeitschrift für Assyriologie und Verwandte Gebeite, Neunter Band (Volume Nine), 1894. I have
          consulted two copies of the particular volume in Australia but cannot locate such. However,
          both copies of the particular volumes were damaged and any portrait plate at the end of the volume
          may have been lost. Can anybody on this list verify whether or not a portrait plate of Joseph Epping
          does exist in this particular volume?

          Thanks in advance for any assistance.

          Regards,
          Gary Thompson