Re: [ANE-2] Request for assistance with identification of journals

  • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi Tom.

      Thanks also. You would have read my "CAG identified" e-mail by now. My basic problem
      was working from an incomplete copy of Brown's book Eridanus published in 1883.

      Regards,
      Gary Thompson

      On 30 Jun 2006 at 5:05, Tom Elliott wrote:

      > gtosiris@... wrote:
      > > (1) C.A.G.
      >
      > The Barrington Atlas uses "CAG" for:
      >
      > Michel Provost (ed.), Carte archéologique de la Gaule, Paris,
      > Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres, 1988- (Worldcat:
      > 19596821). Multiple separately titled volumes (numbered and referenced
      > by number, e.g., CAG 34), still in production.
      >
      > But this will have very little to do with the ANE. What is the
      > historical/cultural context for the problematic citation?
      >
      > Best,
      > Tom
      >
      > --
      > Tom Elliott, Ph.D.
      > Director, Pleiades Project
      > Ancient World Mapping Center
      > http://www.unc.edu/awmc/pleiades.html
    • E Bruce Brooks
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
        To: ANE-2
        On: Abbreviations
        From: Bruce

        Gary, to my mind quite naturally, had assumed that "C.A.G" was a journal
        reference. Then:

        GARY: I have finally determined that C. A. G. is not a journal reference as
        I had been assuming but actually refers to the 19th-century book Chaldean
        Account of Genesis by George Smith. My apologies for the mistake.

        BRUCE: This, I suggest, is the problem with the convention (which, as a
        foreigner, I note is widespread among Near Eastern professionals) of using
        acronyms BOTH for journals, which is standard in all fields as far as I
        know, and ALSO for books frequently referred to. In our practice (and as a
        specific recommendation for our journal, in Chinese and comparative ancient
        history), we recommend confining acronyms to journals (with at most an
        extension to series, as a sort of quasi-journal), and referring to
        frequently used single books by their author's surname alone; in this case,
        it would have been understood that "Smith" alone or with a page number
        referred to the George Smith work.

        Besides disasmbiguation, one reason for the distinction is that the list of
        books frequently referred to is liable to vary with the author's subject,
        and thus are likely to be temporary and ad hoc conventions, whereas the
        journals are there for all users (and there are standard lists of their
        acronyms).

        Respectfully suggested,

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks
        Warring States Project
        University of Massachusetts at Amherst
      • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 18, 2006
          Hi.

          Based on a library record (which merely mentions offprint) it would appear that the Finnish Assyriologist Knut Tallqvist (1865-1949) published a book review of Studien zu den Babylonischen Texten, Heft VI B by the pioneer Assyriologist Johann Strassmaier. I would appreciate any assistance in identifying the publication that the book review appeared in. It possibly appeared circa 1892. Thanks for any assistance.

          Regards,
          Gary Thompson
        • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
            Hi,

            I have been informed that a portrait photograph of the astronomer and pioneer assyriologist
            Joseph Epping SJ appeared in the obituary for Joseph Epping by Alexander Baumgartner SJ in
            Zeitschrift für Assyriologie und Verwandte Gebeite, Neunter Band (Volume Nine), 1894. I have
            consulted two copies of the particular volume in Australia but cannot locate such. However,
            both copies of the particular volumes were damaged and any portrait plate at the end of the volume
            may have been lost. Can anybody on this list verify whether or not a portrait plate of Joseph Epping
            does exist in this particular volume?

            Thanks in advance for any assistance.

            Regards,
            Gary Thompson