Re: [ANE-2] Tigris and Hiddekel (was !!!!!)

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      Tory,

      Your observations are as usual very reasonable and informative. The Hebrew
      Bible contains a mixture of Hellenistic, archaic Jewish and late Jewish
      traditions, and it is not always possible to decide with certainty which features
      are present in a given passage. This may be one instance, although I think
      the Hellenistic geographical conceptions are an important indicator.

      Best regards,
      Russell Gmirkin

      Regardless how 'Diglitus' found its way into Pliny,
      and your theory, in my opinion, seems reasonable but
      speculative, it is important to note that the Hebrew
      Hiddekel with initial laryngeal would seem to preserve
      the earliest form of the name (IDIGNA in Sum., Idiqlat
      in Akk.) whereas deqlat in Aramaic, for example, does
      not. So without further speculating that Berossos used
      the earlier form but Juba drawing upon Berossus did
      not, therefore Pliny drawing upon Juba did not, the
      evidence available at present does not support that
      Berossos was ultimately the source of the Hebrew name.

      Tory Thorpe