Bouncing Members --yahoo.com email addresses closed

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
      Since the middle of the month there has been a spate of new bouncing
      members (no, not people who are extremely buoyant -- but members whose
      addresses no longer are accepting messages from the list).

      The vast majority of these members have yahoo.com addressees
      and all of these joined the list in the first few days of its existence.

      Reactivation requests elicit the response:

      Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to
      xxxxxxx@... cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled
      or discontinued [#102]. - mta177.mail.re4.yahoo.com

      What we suspect is that these are members who created Yahoo mail
      accounts when they joined the list and then have never logged into them,
      reading the postings from the web site or just not reading them at all.

      Apparently Yahoo disables accounts that have not been logged into for a
      specified length of time and these members have apparently been victims
      of this policy.

      Either that, or something went buggy when Yahoo updated its interface.

      In any case, here is the list of those "bouncing" members.

      barahona
      sangaseals
      weeks76oz
      philip.cleary
      gypsum67
      jakob_flygare
      empiricalmeans
      w90petrie
      xirot
      tonyz
      yacovnik
      vandyrider
      diefranc
      telecomtally
      bitnoam
      cushka

      If you see your address (assuming you read ANE-2 messages on the web),
      perhaps you will take the steps necessary to remove your "bouncing"
      status.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

    • Clark Whelton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
        members (no, not people who are extremely buoyant -- but members whose
        addresses no longer are accepting messages from the list).
        The vast majority of these members have yahoo.com addressees
        and all of these joined the list in the first few days of its existence....
        What we suspect is that these are members who created Yahoo mail
        accounts when they joined the list and then have never logged into them,
        reading the postings from the web site or just not reading them at all.
        Apparently Yahoo disables accounts that have not been logged into for a
        specified length of time and these members have apparently been victims
        of this policy.
        Jeffrey Gibson

        If you don't log onto your Yahoo mail account at least once every four
        months, it becomes inactive and you'll stop receiving Yahoogroup messages.
        Here is what Yahoo says....

        "Why is my account inactive?

        Yahoo! Mail deactivated your mail account because:
        You have not logged into your mail account during the past four months; or
        You have requested that Yahoo! Mail deactivate your account.
        What does this mean?
        All email messages, folders, attachments and preferences have been deleted
        and cannot be recovered.
        All messages are being returned to the sender.
        You can still use your Yahoo! ID to access other registered services on
        Yahoo!. "

        The good news is that your Yahoo mail account can be reactivated... even if
        it has been inactive for a considerable length of time. Just log on and
        follow directions.

        Clark Whelton
        New York
      • E Bruce Brooks
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
          To: ANE-2
          On: Bouncing Members
          From: Bruce

          The other possibility is that these E-mail accounts have been put on hold
          for the summer, or simply left behind when departing for fieldwork, and
          their inboxes are full. In that case, the members in question will not see
          the recent message, and will be in danger of losing their ANE-2 connection
          as a result.

          I would suggest that the managers might themselves put the whole matter on
          hold until mid-September, and then attempt a "probe" of any addresses still
          bouncing at that time. The problem may by then have largely solved itself.
          And its existence in the meantime, as far as I know, doesn't affect the
          functioning of the list otherwise.

          Bruce

          E Bruce Brooks
          Warring States Project
          University of Massachusetts at Amherst
        • Robert Whiting
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
            On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, E Bruce Brooks wrote:

            > To: ANE-2
            > On: Bouncing Members
            > From: Bruce
            >
            > The other possibility is that these E-mail accounts have been put on
            > hold for the summer, or simply left behind when departing for fieldwork,
            > and their inboxes are full. In that case, the members in question will
            > not see the recent message, and will be in danger of losing their ANE-2
            > connection as a result.

            I think we'll stick with the more rational, less speculative conclusion
            that these are accounts that haven't been logged in to in the past four
            months since it fits the available evidence better. Since these members
            are having their messages bounced, they won't see the recent message
            anyway unless they read it on the group's website. We assume that that is
            the way that they keep up with postings in any case, if they do at all,
            since email postings are sent to their Yahoo addresses and they apparently
            haven't logged in to their Yahoo mail accounts in the past four months.

            We are really only concerned about the bouncing members with Yahoo
            addresses who have had their accounts deactivated at this point, since
            there are usually a few members in bouncing status for various reasons at
            any given time. These members are:

            Yahoo ID Joined Account deactivated
            bitnoam 2/15/2006 6/22/2006
            empiricalmeans 2/16/2006 6/26/2006
            gypsum67 2/19/2006 6/24/2006
            jakob_flygare 2/18/2006 6/25/2006
            sangaseals 2/21/2006 6/27/2006
            telecomtally 2/15/2006 6/20/2006
            vandyrider 2/15/2006 6/22/2006
            w90petrie 2/16/2006 6/22/2006
            weeks76oz 2/21/2006 6/26/2006
            yacovnik 2/15/2006 6/25/2006

            We (the moderators) would not bother the list with this if we had any
            other way of communicating with these list members, but since their email
            addresses don't work and we have no names except for the Yahoo IDs, this
            is the only way of informing them of the problem. It also serves the
            purpose of alerting other list members who may have started Yahoo email
            accounts when they joined the list but have never since logged in to them
            to the problem lest they soon find themselves in the same situation.

            > I would suggest that the managers might themselves put the whole matter
            > on hold until mid-September, and then attempt a "probe" of any addresses
            > still bouncing at that time. The problem may by then have largely solved
            > itself. And its existence in the meantime, as far as I know, doesn't
            > affect the functioning of the list otherwise.

            I doubt that this is the kind of problem that will go away if ignored. We
            would not like to remove these members from the list but would prefer that
            they reactivate their Yahoo mail accounts or change their email address to
            one that is functional. They are still list members and can still edit
            their memberships. The situation does not affect the list at all, but it
            does affect the moderators ability to help the other bouncing members of
            the list reestablish connections by significantly reducing the signal to
            noise ratio in the bouncing members list.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
              > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, E Bruce Brooks wrote:
              >
              >> To: ANE-2
              >> On: Bouncing Members
              >> From: Bruce
              >>
              >> The other possibility is that these E-mail accounts have been put on
              >> hold for the summer, or simply left behind when departing for fieldwork,
              >> and their inboxes are full. In that case, the members in question will
              >> not see the recent message, and will be in danger of losing their ANE-2
              >> connection as a result.
              >
              > I think we'll stick with the more rational, less speculative conclusion
              > that these are accounts that haven't been logged in to in the past four
              > months since it fits the available evidence better.

              Now that's what I like. Moderation using critical-historical methodology.
              :)

              Jack Kilmon