ta-ta-$u-u$ u4-me-$am-ma ul '-a-da-ru pa-nu-ka ?

  • Peter Westh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      Dear list members,

      I am working with the great Shamash hymn at the moment. Being primarily
      trained as a historian of religion rather than an assyriologist, I generally
      try to avoid venturing too far into philological territory if I can help it
      - but here is a problem I need to understand.

      Line 41 (accepting the rendering in CAD A1 107b) reads:

      [ta]-ta-$u-u$ u4-me-$am-ma ul '-a-da-ru pa-nu-ka

      Both CAD and Foster (2005) translate thus:

      "Though you darken/are darkened each day, your face is not eclipsed"

      I cannot make sense of this, as the verb a$a:$u clearly means being
      "afflicted", "distressed", "dejected" or some such. (This is also the way
      Lambert, Reiner and Seux seem to understand it), giving something like:

      "Though you toil daily, your face does not darken"

      So my question is: Did CAD and Foster arrive at their translation in some
      way that I have overlooked, or did CAD simply make a mistake, which Foster
      has then repeated?

      Best,

      Peter Westh
      PhD student
      University of Copenhagen
      Department of Cross-cultural and Regional Studies
      History of Religions Section
      Artillerivej 86, room 2.06
      DK-2300 Copenhagen
      Denmark
      pwesth@...
      +45 40 53 47 99

      Secretary of DAHR
      Danish Association for the History of Religions
      www.dahr.dk