Re: [ANE-2] Terrace Dating

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2006
      See the work of Shimon Gibson and Gerson Edelstein from the Israel Antiquities Authority who dated the terraces in the Judean Hills to the Iron II period, others today are pushing these back even further. Also see A. Faust, The Israelite Village: Cultural Conservatism and Technological Innovation. Tel Aviv, vol. 32, no. 2 (2005).
      Dating them should not present that much of a problem, as the lower levels are comprised of sediments of little agricultural value and lots of sherds, the topmost levels are where the better soils are.

      Joe Zias

      Richard Whitekettle <rwhiteke@...> wrote: I recall reading some articles a year or two ago on the difficulty of dating
      agricultural terraces. I can't find my copies and I can't seem to locate the
      citations on the databases (JSTOR; ATLA). Can anyone point me in the right
      direction?

      Thanks for any help.

      Richard Whitekettle