Egyptian month names

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
      Can anyone supply the names of the months as they would have been used in the first two centuries A.D.? It would be preferable if these could be given in the Greek transcription.

      Thanks,

      george
      gfsomsel
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
        My apologies! I apparently forgot to include the detail that these should be the month names as they were used in Egypt.

        _____________

        George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:
        Can anyone supply the names of the months as they would have been used in the first two centuries A.D.? It would be preferable if these could be given in the Greek transcription.

        Thanks,

        george
        gfsomsel

        george
        gfsomsel
        _________

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
          > My apologies! I apparently forgot to include the detail that these should
          > be the month names as they were used in Egypt.
          >
          > _____________
          >

          > George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:
          > Can anyone supply the names of the months as they would have been
          > used in the first two centuries A.D.? It would be preferable if these
          > could be given in the Greek transcription.
          >
          > Thanks,

          From some old notes:
          I'll give the Traditional and also the Coptic which should be the 200 AD
          system but I don't know when that started during that 2 centuries CE period.

          Season of the flood (Akhet)
          Tekh (Thoth) July 19 Coptic Touti
          Menkhet Aug 18 Coptic Paopi
          Hathor Sept 17 Coptic Athor
          Nehebkau Oct 17 Coptic Khoyak
          Season of Sowing (Peret)
          Shefbedet Nov 16 Coptic Tobi
          Rekehwer Dec 16 Coptic Mekhir
          Rekehnedjes Jan 15 Coptic Phamenoth
          Renenutet Feb 14 Coptic Pharmouthi
          Season of Harvest/Summer (Shemu)
          Khons Mar 16 Coptic Pakhon
          Khentkhety Apr 15 Coptic Paony
          Ipet May 15 Coptic Epep
          Wepet Renpet June 14 Coptic Mesor

          Then 5 days intercations representing birthdays of:
          Osiris (Wasir)
          Horus (Heru-Dunawhy)
          Seth (Set)
          Isis (Aset)
          Nephthys (Nebet-het)

          Jack Kilmon
        • George F Somsel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
            Thank you, Jack. That agrees with the text of the papyrus I'm working on. It must therefore be a month name.

            ______________

            Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

            > My apologies! I apparently forgot to include the detail that these should
            > be the month names as they were used in Egypt.

            > George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:
            > Can anyone supply the names of the months as they would have been
            > used in the first two centuries A.D.? It would be preferable if these
            > could be given in the Greek transcription.
            >
            > Thanks,

            From some old notes: