Re: [ANE-2] Aramaic saying

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 19, 2006
      I understand Jim's caution and certainly acknowledge that Aramaic
      reconstruction from Greek sayings materials can work in reverse by
      transmitting Greek rhetoric into Aramaic. Having said that, Aramaic
      retroversion can certainly be a valuable tool if used cautiously, a tool
      that is, IMO, greatly undervalued. Aramaic scholars of the last century
      such as Dalman (Grammatik, Worte Iesu) , Meyer (Iesu Muttersprache) , Burney
      (Aramaic Origin of the Fourth Gospel; Poetry of Our Lord), von Harnack
      (Spruche und Reden Iesu), Torrey (Aramaic of the Gospels) and Wellhausen
      (Einleitung..) thought that some or all of the gospels were originally in
      Aramaic which we know is just not the case. Today we have the work of
      Maurice Casey, Matthew Black, Joseph Fitzmyer and Joachim Jeremias and most
      scholars recognize that the Gospels contain some translational Greek from
      Aramaic. My own interest is the Vox Iesu which would have been in Aramaic.
      Where Greek and the English translations of sayings of Jesus do not make a
      lot of sense, often they do when retroverted to Aramaic. But this does not
      prove that the saying came from Jesus but that the saying was from a Semitic
      source but, unlike Jim, I believe that IS one step closer. One thing for
      sure, I wish I had Jim's facility in German. It takes me quite a while to
      struggle through some of the German works on Aramaic...which is where all
      the good stuff was published. I wonder why it was not so interesting to
      scholars in this country?

      Jack Kilmon