The Role of this Forum, and Cross-Cultural Marriage

  • Christopher Conlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2006
      Given recent postings, and the feelings that have been presented by
      various members with regards to the purpose of this group, I would
      like to propose a move towards a more forum like set-up. Whist I do
      not want to discourage those wishing to learn from asking for
      references, I would like to see some of the members engaging in a real
      dialogue covering serious issues in Near Eastern Archaeology/Assyriology.

      As such, I would like to hark back to a topic that was broached back
      in February (cross-cultural marriage), whilst it was answered to
      varying degrees, I feel that there is still more to say on this topic,
      and that to a certain degree the role and importance of cross-cultural
      marriage at the lower levels of society was overlooked. Whilst a
      number of responses dealt with cross-cultural marriage at the top
      level, which could be seen as leading by example and promoting such
      unions, to a large degree this would have a limited impact upon the
      people within the society.

      The real key to understanding societies at large is understanding the
      people at the bottom of the societal pyramid, and to this end there
      are a number of texts, and some papers relating to inter-marriage, see
      below;

      Abraham, K., 2004. Mixed Marriage: Cuneiform Marriage Contracts from
      the 5th Century BCE with Hebrew Names. Lecture at UCL 17/5/04.

      Thus I would like to open up the floor to a discussion of the role and
      impact of cross-cultural at the lower levels of society in the ANE.

      Chris Conlan