RE: [ANE-2] Edomite Beginnings and copper

  • Graham Hagens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14 5:01 PM
      This opinion is an admitted acceptance of Snodgrass' hypothesis (disputed by
      some, and I believe accepted somewhat coolly by Muhly) that the Iron Age
      developed as a result of a region wide crisis in the supply of the two most
      important strategic commodities: copper and tin. According to this idea the
      development of carburized iron occurred first in Cyprus where the
      metallurgical industry had earlier collapsed due to interruption of the
      supply of tin, as a result either of piracy or warfare across the
      Mesopotamian trade routes. The LCIIIC trade breakdown also interrupted the
      flow copper from Cyprus to the mainland, and coincidentally the records of
      Ram III suggest a sharp increase in copper production in the Sinai within
      the same 11th century timeframe. This ended when Timna was abandoned around
      the time of Ram V (Rothenberg). This would have been a serious regional
      crisis since prior to the discovery of carburization and annealing
      techniques iron was very inferior to bronze. This information once again
      from Snodgrass, who also notes that the Iron Age (as defined by the ratio of
      iron to bronze items recovered from archaeological sites) seems to have
      started later in Palestine than in other parts of the ANE (Cyprus, Greece,
      Syria). Although these ideas are not explored by Finkelstein, they would fit
      with his suggestion that the 11th century Negev settlements, especially Tel
      Masos, were established as a conduit by which 'Jordanian-Arabah' ('Edomite')
      copper from Khirbat en-Nahas made its way to markets in the north and west.
      With Cyprus out of commission - and Timna shut down - Khirbat en-Nahas was
      the only significant source of copper available to Syro-Palesine, western
      Asia and the Aegean. In light of Hesoid's bleak description of what living
      in the Iron Age was really like, it seems not unreasonable to describe the
      situation at that time as 'desperate.'

      Graham Hagens