Yahoo polls

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      The strange case of synchronicity in which questions about
      "historicity" came up in three unrelated private discussions gave me
      the idea to try and tap the collective knowledge of the over 650
      members of the list. While there were no "results" as such, it was an
      interesting and instructive experience.

      Since I get the list messages by email I was not aware that Yahoo
      groups also has a poll facility, and had I known about it, I would
      have used it instead. I think it's much better to have such things
      controlled by the moderators then by individual members.

      The Yahoo groups poll facility is more limited than what can be asked
      in a regular list message. You get one question and up to 25 possible
      answers, with an option to choose between single answer polls and
      multiple answer polls.

      Using the poll facility I could have set a multiple answer question like:

      Q: The usage of "historicity" in history-related publications ...
      A1: ... is of its plain English meaning.
      A2: ... is of a history-specific "convention and tradition" meaning.
      A3: ... is of a terminological meaning.
      A4: ... is of the x-ITY meaning derived from "historic"
      A5: ... has additional meaning to the A4 meaning
      A6: ... has a significantly different meaning than the A4 meaning.

      Etc, with people selecting one of A1-A3, one of A4-A6, and so on.

      There is no room for people to enter text, so questions like "what is
      the definition" can't be in the poll, but I think that overall the
      polls can be very useful and informational. The list members
      represent a very wide base of knowledge and experience in ANE-related matters.

      I don't think that a "historicity" poll will provide significantly
      different results than those I described in the survey "non-results"
      message, so there's no sense in doing a "historicity" poll now, but I
      think that list members should be aware that the facility exist, and
      if they have an idea for a poll they should contact their friendly moderators.

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...