Re: Philistine manuscript form Hebron area

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      As we say in modern Israeli, mixed Hebrew/Arabic:
      "Lo Plishti ve-Lo Batich ..."
      These are completely forged, not relating to anything Philistine,
      save for the anonymous person who, very unsuccessfully, created this
      forgery, who was clearly a modern Philistine ...

      This was discussed by J. Naveh in BASOR 247 (1982), and in fact, in
      the new NEA (68/1-2 [2005]), it is mentioned several times (as an
      example of a blatant forgery), in the forum on forgeries etc.

      Since we now have a slowly but surely, growing corpus of bona fide
      inscriptions from the Philistine sites (Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ekron, and
      now Gath), I vote that we concentrate on the real stuff. I hope
      that, at least with regard to Iron Age epigraphy from Philistia, the
      discussions will be limited, primarily, to well-provenanced
      materials ...

      And since we (the Tell es-Safi/Gath team) will be back in the field
      in Philistia in about a month, as usual, we will also be on the
      lookout to add additional bona fide items to this corpus ...

      Best,
      Aren Maeir
      Jerusalem

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "lukasz niesiolowski-spano"
      <niesiolowski@...> wrote:

      > I have the question concerning the artefact which was refered to
      several times by G. Mendanhall. [e.g. Kadmos 10(1971); ADAJ 15
      (1970); ADAJ 16 (1971).]