Philistine manuscript form Hebron area

  • lukasz niesiolowski-spano
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2006
      I have the question concerning the artefact which was refered to several times by G. Mendanhall. [e.g. Kadmos 10(1971); ADAJ 15 (1970); ADAJ 16 (1971).]
      Does anyone know:

      Where the manuscript is stored now?
      Wherethe results of c-14 exams were published?
      Were there any other studies done on it?
      Was there only G. Mendenhall to claim that it was not a fake?
      Were there any pubications dealing with it as the true Philistine document?
      Did anyone try to explain the sort of script used there?

      Sincerely
      Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

      KUPIEC WENECKI. Znakomita ekranizacja sztuki Szekspira.
      Pojedynek zdobywców Oscara Ala Pacino i Jeremy Ironsa.
      Miłość. Nienawiść. Żądza zemsty. Premiera 2 czerwca.
      http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fadv.reklama.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fkupiecwenecki.html&sid=777
    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
        As we say in modern Israeli, mixed Hebrew/Arabic:
        "Lo Plishti ve-Lo Batich ..."
        These are completely forged, not relating to anything Philistine,
        save for the anonymous person who, very unsuccessfully, created this
        forgery, who was clearly a modern Philistine ...

        This was discussed by J. Naveh in BASOR 247 (1982), and in fact, in
        the new NEA (68/1-2 [2005]), it is mentioned several times (as an
        example of a blatant forgery), in the forum on forgeries etc.

        Since we now have a slowly but surely, growing corpus of bona fide
        inscriptions from the Philistine sites (Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ekron, and
        now Gath), I vote that we concentrate on the real stuff. I hope
        that, at least with regard to Iron Age epigraphy from Philistia, the
        discussions will be limited, primarily, to well-provenanced
        materials ...

        And since we (the Tell es-Safi/Gath team) will be back in the field
        in Philistia in about a month, as usual, we will also be on the
        lookout to add additional bona fide items to this corpus ...

        Best,
        Aren Maeir
        Jerusalem

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "lukasz niesiolowski-spano"