Re: [ANE-2] Announcement of peripheral site: Seal Studies-L

  • Robert Whiting
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2006
      On Fri, 26 May 2006, Phillip Jones wrote:

      > Jeffrey,
      >
      > Thank you for the heads up.
      >
      > I suppose that I should be more careful with my punctuation in the
      > future, so as to not cause any confusion.

      What Jeffrey was trying to tell you is that the URL was broken because of
      the period at the end. It is not so much a matter of causing confusion as
      it is of presenting a URL that doesn't work. I will take some of the
      responsibility for this because I approved your posting without noticing
      the period at the end of the URL. You probably had no way of knowing this
      because it is a feature of the way that Yahoo makes URLs live in postings
      and it is not intuitive, but something that one learns from experience.
      For you (and other list members and anyone who posts to Yahoo groups),
      Yahoo will include a period at the end of a URL in the URL making it
      nonfunctional. If punctuation is needed, place the URL in <>. Since <
      and > are not permitted characters in URLs, Yahoo's algorithm will stop
      processing when it hits the >. The URL could be imbedded in a sentence as
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sealstudies>.

      > I'll be happy to repost the link without the punctuation, however I
      > should say, a good amount of people certainly were able to make it to
      > the site even though that period was there. I suppose that they were
      > able to think a bit and figure out that the purpose of the link was to
      > reference them to the site, not to nitpick.

      Yes, there are some reasonably intelligent people on this list. But just
      think how many more people might have showed up if the URL were a way to
      get to the site rather than an intelligence test.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...