Ares < Yarri < Erra

  • Miguel Valerio
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22 6:43 AM
      Dear Listmembers,
      I posted a message on this matter a while ago but since at the time I
      did not find everything I need I will get back to it.

      I am looking for references regarding the Anatolian pestilence god
      Yarri < Mesopotamian Erra/Irra. For matters of bibliographical
      review, I am interested in who was the first to establish the connect
      of Yarri with Erra as well as with Greek Ares - was it V. Haas in his
      "Geschichte der hethitischen Religion" (1994)?
      I know that Yarri occurs in some Cuneiform Luvian texts but I am not
      aware if it is also present in any Hittite ones. This would be
      important to draw the god's profile as I am interested in its divine
      attributes.
      I would me much obliged if anyone could assist me. Any reference or
      info is valuable.

      Thanks in advance,

      Miguel Valério

      Undergraduate Student of Anthropology
      Faculdade Ciências Sociais e Humanas
      Universidade Nova de Lisboa
      Lisbon, Portugal

      LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
      http://es.voice.yahoo.com
    • yagiz kir
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22 8:41 AM
        Mr. Valerio,

        I'm a Turkish archaeologist and I advise you to contact Istanbul University Hittitology department. A young Dr. couple Metin-Meltem Alparslan are working on the religion of Hittites,they may be able to help you.Metin Alparslan's e-mail is alparslanili@... ,also you can check out www.tebe.org.tr. If you will be unable to get in touch with them,I'll try to help again.

        Best regards,

        Yagiz KIR

        Miguel Valerio <mikkivalerio@...> wrote:
[...]

        Near Columbia university University of helsinki

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23 8:12 PM
          Dear Miguel,

          I haven't studied the relationship between Erra and Ares, but there are
          parallels in cultural borrowings during the Persian and early Hellenistic eras by
          the Jews from the literary text the Poem of Erra. There appears to be
          substantial borrowing of vocabulary and motifs in the older portions of the Book
          of Ezekiel as documented in a number of studies, one of the latest and best
          being Daniel Bodi's 1991 _Book of Ezekiel and The Poem of Erra_. By
          forthcoming book _Berossus and Genesis, Manetho and Exodus_ also discusses the
          indebtedness of the Tower of Babel story to the Poem of Erra. I also briefly discuss
          the date of the Poem of Erra, which contains substantial allusions to
          historical events under Sennacherib (notably circumstances surrounding the fall of
          Babylon), to the time of Esarhaddon (when the Marduk cult, among others, was
          restored under Esarhaddon's conciliatory policies reversing the harsh
          treatment of Babylon by his father). I had an extensive discussion of the dating in
          an Appendix which had to be cut due to MSS length considerations, but enough
          survives in the footnotes to indicate the argument's outlines. I bring this
          up in case the Poem of Erra figures into your discussion of the chronology
          of the dissemination of Erra traditions beyond Mesopotamia.

          Best regards,
          Russell Gmirkin