New Article in JHS

  • Ehud Ben Zvi
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2006
      Some/many of you may not have seen the following message that appeared in the JHS-list a few days ago.

      Dear all,

      I am glad to announce the recent publication of another article and a review in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures. As usual, to access the Journal please go to http://www.jhsonline.org/

      Articles:

      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 6: Article 6 (2006)

      Juan Manuel Tebes, "You Shall Not Abhor an Edomite, for He is Your Brother": The Tradition of Esau and the Edomite Genealogies from an Anthropological Perspective"

      This paper studies the genealogical relationship between ancient Israel and Edom, as is expressed by the Hebrew Bible. It studies especially the sociopolitical and ideological framework that gave birth to the biblical tradition of the brotherhood of Jacob, the Israelite patriarch, and Esau, here the alleged eponym of the Edomites. Three pertinent questions are discussed: the Jacob-Esau saga in the biblical scholarship; the presence of Southern Jordanian "Edomite" material culture in the Negev; and the issue of kinship, segmentation and orality in ancient societies. It is argued that the brotherhood tradition should be understood in the terms of the sociopolitical, demographic, and ideological background in which it emerged: the Late Iron Age Negev.

      Those who wish to access this article directly may go to

      http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/abstracts-articles.html#A56

      Review:

      Fidler, Ruth, "Dreams Speak Falsely"? Dream Theophanies in the Bible: Their Place in Ancient Israelite Faith and Tradition (Jerusalem: Hebrew University Magnes Press, 2005). (reviewed by Scott Noegel)

      Those who wish to access the review directly may go to http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews/reviews_vol.html

      Regards,

      Ehud

      Ehud Ben Zvi
      History and Classics
      University of Alberta
      2-28 HM Tory Building
      Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

    • Ehud Ben Zvi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 10:51 PM
        Dear all,

        I am glad to announce the recent publication of a new article in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures. As usual, please go to http://www.jhsonline.org <https://artsml.arts.ualberta.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://artsml.arts.ualberta.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.jhsonline.org> to access the Journal.

        Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 7: Article 6 (2007)

        Roland Boer, "Keeping It Literal: The Economy of the Song of Songs"

        Abstract:

        This essay seeks the underlying worldview of the Song of Songs. It does so in three steps. Firstly, over against the widespread assumption that the metaphors of the Song of Songs refer to human erotic love, or indeed the older assumption that they are allegories for the relations between God and Israel, or God and the Church, this article asks what happens when we break such metaphoric connections. In other words, what happens if we take the metaphors at face value? Secondly, once the metaphors are freed from their links with human erotic love, they take on a life of their own, one of fecund and fertile nature. The third step involves an exploration of what the worldview of such a fecund nature might be. My suggestion is that it may be understood as a utopian element - nature producing freely and of its own accord - of what I call the sacred economy.

        Those who wish to access this article directly may go to http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/abstracts-articles.html#A67 <https://artsml.arts.ualberta.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/abstracts-articles.html%23A67>

        For information about the most recent printed version of the journal (vols 1-4) go to
        <https://artsml.arts.ualberta.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/c-78-gorgias-perspectives-on-hebrew> http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/c-78-gorgias-perspectives-on-hebrew <https://artsml.arts.ualberta.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/c-78-gorgias-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures.aspx> -scriptures.aspx

        Volume 5 is being prepared for publication and Volume 6 will follow soon.

        Regards,

        Ehud

        Ehud Ben Zvi
        History and Classics
        University of Alberta
        2-28 HM Tory Building
        Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

        ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.**

      • christophe.nihan@unil.ch
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19 9:16 AM
          Dear All,

          I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
          the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org).

          Paul S. EVANS, “History in the Eye of the Beholder? Social
          Location and Allegations of Racial/Colonial Biases in
          Reconstructions of Sennacherib’s Invasion of Judah”

          Abstract: Studies by A.O. Bellis and H.T. Aubin have
          criticized scholars for failing to acknowledge the role of
          Africans in the ‘deliverance’ of Jerusalem from the
          Assyrian threat in 701 BCE due to racial bias and the
          continuing influence of 19th century colonial scholarship.
          This article examines their arguments in detail and
          demonstrates that the evidence does not support their
          hypothesis. Furthermore, this article considers to what
          extent social location as well as racial and political bias
          affect biblical scholarship, and particularly
          reconstructions of history.

          To access the article directly please go to:

          http://www.jhsonline.org/JHS/Articles/article_167.pdf

          Also, please note that JHS is now offering hypertext/
          hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews published
          from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are currently
          working to include versions of the 2010/2011 articles and
          reviews.

          Regards,

          Christophe Nihan
          University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
          Associate General Editor, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

          The printed version of volume 10 (2010) has been published.
          For information please go to:
          http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-59825-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-vii.aspx

          For information about the printed version of volume 9 (2009)
          please go to:
          http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-57974-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-vi.aspx

          For information about the other printed volumes of the
          journal, please go to:
          http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

          The Logos version of vol. 8 has been released. For
          information please go to
          http://www.logos.com/product/8765/journal-of-hebrew-scriptures-vol-8.

          For information about the Logos version of vols. 1-7, please
          go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336

          The Logos version of volume 9 of the journal is being
          prepared.
        • christophe.nihan@unil.ch
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
            Dear All,

            I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
            the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures
            (http://www.jhsonline.org/index.html).

            Cynthia R. CHAPMAN, “ ‘Oh that you were like a brother
            to me, one who had nursed at my mother’s breasts.’
            Breast Milk as a Kinship-Forging Substance”

            Abstract: This article builds on the work of anthropologists
            who focus on milk kinship to demonstrate that biblical
            Hebrew narrative understands breast milk as a
            kinship-forging substance. The Bible presents breastfeeding
            as a process through which a mother or wet nurse confers
            upon an infant her own tribal identity and royal or priestly
            status. Breastfeeding narratives in the Bible bolster the
            hero’s royal or priestly credentials and establish his
            insider ethnicity.

            To access the article directly please go to

            http://www.jhsonline.org/JHS/Articles/article_169.pdf

            Also, I am glad to announce that JHS is now offering
            hypertext/ hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews
            published from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are
            currently working to include versions of the 2010/2011
            articles and reviews.

            Regards,

            Christophe Nihan
            University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
            Associate General Editor, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

            The printed version of volume 9 (2009) has been published.
            For information please go to
            http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?ISBN=978-1-61143-004-2.
            The printed version of volume 10 (2010) is currently in
            print.

            For information about the printed version of volume 8 (2008)