mat hatti

  • Cynthia Edenburg
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2014

      A question I would have asked dear Avigdor z"l if he were still with us:

      How long was the currency of the geographic term "mat hatti"? Was it still in use in the Babylonian and Persian periods (references please)?

      Is it plausible that a Bab. or Persian period Judean scribe, who was educated in Mesopotamian literary tradition, would be familiar with the term?

      Thanks,

      Cynthia Edenburg

      --------------------

      Cynthia Edenburg, PhD

      Dept. of History, Philosophy and Jewish Studies

      The Open University of Israel

      1 University Road

      Rana'ana 43107, ISRAEL

      http://www.openu.ac.il/Personal_sites/cynthia-edenburg/

      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2014

        Dear Cynthia,

        I am quite sure that other people here will have more information, but in the Babylonian Chronicle (the Wiseman one), you have it [Grayson, Assyrian and Babyælonian Chronicles. P. 100, l. 16: a-na KURḪat-tú illik-ma etc.]

        Niels Peter Lemche