Shift g > ʤ in Arabic.

  • mfg_valerio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24 12:15 AM

      Dear all,

      This is probably a bit off topic here, but I wonder if anyone might know of any bibliography dealing with the phonological motivation for the sound change South Semitic /g/ > Classical Arabic /ʤ/.

      Thanks very much in advance. With best regards,

      Miguel Valério

      Graduate student

      University of Barcelona

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24 8:33 AM
        I should think the classic discussions by Jean Cantineau would be the starting-point. This is the first one listed in Google Scholar:

        [CITATION][C] Esquisse d'une phonologie de l'arabe classique

        J Cantineau - 1947 - C. Klincksieck
        Jersey City

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25 2:39 AM
          Thank you very much!