Tanit veneration

  • Miller, Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2014
      Is there any evidence to connect Tanit (Pane-Baal) to Ashkelon? I know about the Atargatis-Derceto traditions, but wondered about Tanit.

      Thank you.

      Bob Miller
      The Catholic University of America
    • Sam WOLFF
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2014
        A Tanit amulet, in bronze, as I recall, came from the Ashkelon excavations. A photo appears in a summary article by L.E. Stager in an old BAR.

        In addition, see G. Finkielsztejn, Phanebal, deese d'Ascalon in Studia Phoenicia IX (1992) 51 ff and M. Shenkar, Phanebalos and the Evidence for the Cult of the Goddess Tanit in Palestine, in Israel's Land: Papers Presented to Israel Shatzman on his Jubilee (2009) 229 ff. (in Hebrew).

        You might find someting of interest in Wolff and Finkielsztejn, Two New Hellenistic Lead Weights of the Tanit Series, in J.D. Schloen, ed., Exploring the longue duree: Essays in Honor of Lawrence E. Stager (2009), 497 ff.

        Sam Wolff

      • Christopher Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2014
          Several bronze symbols of Tanit have been found in Persian period levels at Ashkelon.

          See:

          - Stager, Lawrence. "Why Were Hundreds of Dogs Buried at Ashkelon?" Biblical Archaeology Review 17, no. 3 (May/June 1991).
          - --. "Eroticism and Infanticide at Ashkelon." Biblical Archaeology Review 17, no. 4 (July/August 1991).

          There are some offhand mentions of Tanit finds in the Ashkelon 1 volume, but nothing discussed in detail.

          Christopher Jones
          M.A. student, Wheaton College (current)
          Ph.D student, Columbia University (upcoming)