Re: [ANE-2] ] Re: squeezes of inscriptions

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013
      Ah, thanks for the correction. Looking around the web, I think I've seen
      it before, even if I didn't know its origin. Is it a species of Japanese
      washi? I ask, because as far as I can tell, it is normally referred to as
      Ιαπωνικό χαρτί in modern Greek, and, as it happens, the biggest supplier
      for archives in Greece is out of it (http://www.insituconservation.com). I
      suppose I'll have to try to find a source stateside.

      Cheers!

      Michael F. Lane
      Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County

      > It is mulberry paper, made from the inner bark of the mulberry tree. It
      > is (was?) easily accessible in fine arts supply houses less than ten years
      > ago. The leaves are not part of it, so don't query by mulberry-leaf. Fine
      > arts conservation suppliers should also have it.
      >
      > Trudy S. Kawami

    • Joe Zias
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013
        If it's vertical, high up, you may need to use silicone to make a cast of the insc. which we did and then make a polyester cast and then the 'squeeze. Silicone is expensive.

        Joe Zias www.joezias.org

        Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

        Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel