Re: SV: [ANE-2] origins of cities

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
      On 8/24/2013 10:13 AM, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:
      > The last question is important: whether anything new is being done. I am not sure. I made my
      > own recent effort in trying to deal with the origin of Jerusalem as a holy city, but I have not yet received
      > feedback so am uncertain if it might be a help: It is my article "What we know and don't know about pre--Hellenistic
      > al-Quds", as well as the following discussion with Firas Sawah in Emanuel Pfoh and Keith Whitelam's new book.
      > All the best,
      > Thomas

      Thank you -- and thanks to Peter and Emanuel and others -- who responded
      to my question.

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
        I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
        city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
        by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla citt�
        orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
        ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35�, first
        printing April 2013.
        The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
        have no further details.

        I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
        I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
        II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
        III. *The season of theoretical models.*
        IV. *The new models in practice.*
        V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
        VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
        *
        *
        Enjoy!
        Mario Fales
        University of Udine

        On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
        > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
        > Has any new work been done on this question?
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >
        > --
        > ---
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
        > Chicago, IL
        > jgibson000@...

        Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
        Universit� degli Studi di Udine
        DIBE - vicolo Florio, 2a - 33100 - UDINE
        tel. +39-0432-556643

      • Emanuel Pfoh
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
          I am currently half way through Liverani's Immaginare Babele and must say it's a wonderful piece of work, incredibly erudite and covering pretty much every archaeological and historiographical topic ever treated on the ancient Near Eastern city. Without doubt, a must read.

          Emanuel Pfoh
          National University of La Plata

          ________________________________
          I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
          city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
          by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla città
          orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
          ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35€, first
          printing April 2013.
          The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
          have no further details.

          I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
          I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
          II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
          III. *The season of theoretical models.*
          IV. *The new models in practice.*
          V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
          VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
          *
          *
          Enjoy!
          Mario Fales
          University of Udine

          On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
          > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
          > Has any new work been done on this question?
          >
          > Jeffrey
          >
          > --
          > ---
          > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
          > Chicago, IL
          > jgibson000@...

          Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
          Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
          Università degli Studi di Udine