squeezes of inscriptions

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
      Hi, all!

      Any advice on a simple and cost-effective way to take a "squeeze" of a c.
      1 x 2 m inscription on pitted limestone?

      Cheers,

      Michael F. Lane
      Univ.of Maryland Baltimore County

      --
      Prof. Michael Franklin Lane
      Co-Director, AROURA
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
        While working on the inscriptions atop the so called tomb of Absalom here in Jerusalem, we tried using paper towels, toilet paper and finally settled on filter paper, the thinner the better. Must be layer upon layer and the best method we found to 'beat' the paper into the lettering was a semi-stiff toilet brush with a flexible handle and plastic bristles.  Large sheets of filter paper can be found in most stores which sell lab materials.

        If the inscription is heavily pitted, as was the tomb of Absalom, only by using a squeeze is it legible.

        Joe Zias www.joezias.org

        Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

        Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        >________________________________

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
          Joe, Does anyone still use latex for squeezes?

          Brian Roberts
          Charlotte, NC

          On Aug 24, 2013, at 3:57 AM, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

          > While working on the inscriptions atop the so called tomb of Absalom here in Jerusalem, we tried using paper towels, toilet paper and finally settled on filter paper, the thinner the better. Must be layer upon layer and the best method we found to 'beat' the paper into the lettering was a semi-stiff toilet brush with a flexible handle and plastic bristles. Large sheets of filter paper can be found in most stores which sell lab materials.
          >
          > If the inscription is heavily pitted, as was the tomb of Absalom, only by using a squeeze is it legible.
          >

          > Joe Zias www.joezias.org
          >
          > Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide
          >
          > Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
          > Jerusalem, Israel
          >
          > >________________________________

        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
            Has anyone tried damp mulberry paper which is commonly used for rubbings of East Asian inscriptions? The fibers in mulberry paper and long and "tangled" giving the paper strength & flexibility. Not sure how it would stand up to the semi-soft toilet brush, however. :-)
            Trudy Kawami
            ________________________________
            While working on the inscriptions atop the so called tomb of Absalom here in Jerusalem, we tried using paper towels, toilet paper and finally settled on filter paper, the thinner the better. Must be layer upon layer and the best method we found to 'beat' the paper into the lettering was a semi-stiff toilet brush with a flexible handle and plastic bristles. Large sheets of filter paper can be found in most stores which sell lab materials.

            If the inscription is heavily pitted, as was the tomb of Absalom, only by using a squeeze is it legible.

            Joe Zias www.joezias.org

            Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

            Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
            Jerusalem, Israel

            >________________________________

          • Jimmy Doyle
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
              I'm ready for the day when scans will done and the dimensions/data can be
              made available for 3D printers.

              Jimmy K. Doyle

              Oklahoma United Methodist Foundation
              MDiv Phillips Theological Seminary

            • Michael F. Lane
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
                Dear Jimmy, Joe, and Trudy,

                Thanks for the interesting and useful information!

                I think I may forgo photogrammetry for the time being because the budget
                is too tight to permit rational allocation to such for recording the
                inscription, and furthermore, the inscription is rather awkwardly located
                (up a cliff, as I said, across a raised irrigation channel, and facing
                south into the sun).

                I am especially intrigued by the mulberry-leaf paper option, and I am now
                trying to source it in the U.S. and Greece.

                All best wishes,

                Michael F. Lane