Re: [ANE-2] origins of cities

  • Emanuel Pfoh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
      Also Mario Liverani, "Uruk, the first city" (Equinox 2006).

      Emanuel Pfoh
      CONICET-Argentina

      ________________________________
      From: jgibson000@...
      Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:38:01 -0500
      Subject: [ANE-2] origins of cities

            I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger

      works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE.  Any suggestions?

      Has any new work been done on this question?

      Jeffrey

      --

      ---

      Jeffrey B. Gibson  D.Phil. Oxon.

      1500 W.  Pratt Blvd

      Chicago, IL

      jgibson000@...

    • Thomas L. Thompson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
        The last question is important: whether anything new is being done. I am not sure. I made my
        own recent effort in trying to deal with the origin of Jerusalem as a holy city, but I have not yet received
        feedback so am uncertain if it might be a help: It is my article "What we know and don't know about pre--Hellenistic
        al-Quds", as well as the following discussion with Firas Sawah in Emanuel Pfoh and Keith Whitelam's new book.
        All the best,
        Thomas

        Thomas L. Thompson
        Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen
        I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
        works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
        Has any new work been done on this question?

        Jeffrey

        --
        ---
        Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd
        Chicago, IL
        jgibson000@...<mailto:jgibson000%40comcast.net>

      • Jgibson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
          On 8/24/2013 10:13 AM, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:
          > The last question is important: whether anything new is being done. I am not sure. I made my
          > own recent effort in trying to deal with the origin of Jerusalem as a holy city, but I have not yet received
          > feedback so am uncertain if it might be a help: It is my article "What we know and don't know about pre--Hellenistic
          > al-Quds", as well as the following discussion with Firas Sawah in Emanuel Pfoh and Keith Whitelam's new book.
          > All the best,
          > Thomas

          Thank you -- and thanks to Peter and Emanuel and others -- who responded
          to my question.

          Jeffrey

          --
          ---
          Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
            I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
            city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
            by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla citt�
            orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
            ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35�, first
            printing April 2013.
            The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
            have no further details.

            I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
            I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
            II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
            III. *The season of theoretical models.*
            IV. *The new models in practice.*
            V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
            VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
            *
            *
            Enjoy!
            Mario Fales
            University of Udine

            On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
            > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
            > Has any new work been done on this question?
            >
            > Jeffrey
            >
            > --
            > ---
            > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
            > Chicago, IL
            > jgibson000@...

            Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
            Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
            Universit� degli Studi di Udine
            DIBE - vicolo Florio, 2a - 33100 - UDINE
            tel. +39-0432-556643

          • Emanuel Pfoh
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
              I am currently half way through Liverani's Immaginare Babele and must say it's a wonderful piece of work, incredibly erudite and covering pretty much every archaeological and historiographical topic ever treated on the ancient Near Eastern city. Without doubt, a must read.

              Emanuel Pfoh
              National University of La Plata

              ________________________________
              I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
              city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
              by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla città
              orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
              ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35€, first
              printing April 2013.
              The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
              have no further details.

              I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
              I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
              II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
              III. *The season of theoretical models.*
              IV. *The new models in practice.*
              V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
              VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
              *
              *
              Enjoy!
              Mario Fales
              University of Udine

              On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
              > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
              > Has any new work been done on this question?
              >
              > Jeffrey
              >
              > --
              > ---
              > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
              > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
              > Chicago, IL
              > jgibson000@...

              Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
              Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
              Università degli Studi di Udine