origins of cities

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
      I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
      works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
      Has any new work been done on this question?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.

    • carla sulzbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
        Check out - among others - the work of �m�r Harmansah. You can find much of his work downloaded on academia.edu.

        Carla Sulzbach
        McGill University / Montreal

        To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
          Also Mario Liverani, "Uruk, the first city" (Equinox 2006).

          Emanuel Pfoh
          CONICET-Argentina

          ________________________________
          From: jgibson000@...
          Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:38:01 -0500

                I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger

          works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE.  Any suggestions?

          Has any new work been done on this question?

          Jeffrey

          --

          ---

          Jeffrey B. Gibson  D.Phil. Oxon.

          1500 W.  Pratt Blvd

          Chicago, IL

          jgibson000@...

        • Thomas L. Thompson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
            The last question is important: whether anything new is being done. I am not sure. I made my
            own recent effort in trying to deal with the origin of Jerusalem as a holy city, but I have not yet received
            feedback so am uncertain if it might be a help: It is my article "What we know and don't know about pre--Hellenistic
            al-Quds", as well as the following discussion with Firas Sawah in Emanuel Pfoh and Keith Whitelam's new book.
            All the best,
            Thomas

            Thomas L. Thompson
            Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen
            I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
            works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
            Has any new work been done on this question?

            Jeffrey

            --
            ---
            Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd
            Chicago, IL
            jgibson000@...<mailto:jgibson000%40comcast.net>

          • Jgibson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
              On 8/24/2013 10:13 AM, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:
              > The last question is important: whether anything new is being done. I am not sure. I made my
              > own recent effort in trying to deal with the origin of Jerusalem as a holy city, but I have not yet received
              > feedback so am uncertain if it might be a help: It is my article "What we know and don't know about pre--Hellenistic
              > al-Quds", as well as the following discussion with Firas Sawah in Emanuel Pfoh and Keith Whitelam's new book.
              > All the best,
              > Thomas

              Thank you -- and thanks to Peter and Emanuel and others -- who responded
              to my question.

              Jeffrey

              --
              ---
              Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
                I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
                city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
                by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla citt�
                orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
                ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35�, first
                printing April 2013.
                The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
                have no further details.

                I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
                I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
                II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
                III. *The season of theoretical models.*
                IV. *The new models in practice.*
                V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
                VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
                *
                *
                Enjoy!
                Mario Fales
                University of Udine

                On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
                > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
                > Has any new work been done on this question?
                >
                > Jeffrey
                >
                > --
                > ---
                > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
                > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
                > Chicago, IL
                > jgibson000@...

                Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
                Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
                Universit� degli Studi di Udine
                DIBE - vicolo Florio, 2a - 33100 - UDINE
                tel. +39-0432-556643

              • Emanuel Pfoh
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
                  I am currently half way through Liverani's Immaginare Babele and must say it's a wonderful piece of work, incredibly erudite and covering pretty much every archaeological and historiographical topic ever treated on the ancient Near Eastern city. Without doubt, a must read.

                  Emanuel Pfoh
                  National University of La Plata

                  ________________________________
                  I don't think you (or anybody else interested in the Ancient Near Eastern
                  city in history/historiography, for that matter) should miss the new book
                  by Mario Liverani, * Immaginare Babele. Due secoli di studi sulla città
                  orientale antica *[=*Imagining Babel. Two centuries of research on the
                  ancient Oriental city*], * * Roma-Bari: Laterza, 530 pp, 35€, first
                  printing April 2013.
                  The author has disclosed that an English translation is underway, but I
                  have no further details.

                  I translate the chapter headings, just to give an idea:
                  I. *Rediscovery and perplexity.*
                  II*. Acceptance and adaptment.*
                  III. *The season of theoretical models.*
                  IV. *The new models in practice.*
                  V. *Modernity: new approaches and new scenarios.*
                  VI. *Post-modernity: computerization and deconstruction.*
                  *
                  *
                  Enjoy!
                  Mario Fales
                  University of Udine

                  On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jgibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I'm looking for relatively recent journal articles or essays in larger
                  > works that discuss the origins of cities in the ANE. Any suggestions?
                  > Has any new work been done on this question?
                  >
                  > Jeffrey
                  >
                  > --
                  > ---
                  > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
                  > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
                  > Chicago, IL
                  > jgibson000@...

                  Prof. Frederick Mario Fales
                  Storia del Vicino Oriente antico - History of the Ancient near East
                  Università degli Studi di Udine