RE: [ANE-2] Esarhaddon?

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
      Hi Liz,

      The answer, AFAIK, is no. As Trudy wrote, he might have, but there is no
      specific evidence of it. So why does Ezra 4:2 mention Esarhaddon, and not,
      say, Sargon? I'd love to know the answer to that.

      Yigal Levin

      Bar-Ilan

      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
        Why does Ezra 4.1 mention Esarhaddon? Perhaps it's a characterisation showing that the opponents of the Jerusalem community were clutching at straws and making it up as they went along? They wanted to find some reason that would convince the Jerusalem community that they should be involved in the building, so they made it up. The Jerusalem community could go back to Cyrus, but they could go back to... um... er... Esarhaddon! Yes, he'll do!

        (Just thinking out loud here-or whatever the form of that saying should be when you're writing.)

        GEORGE ATHAS
        Dean of Research,
        Sydney, Australia