RE: [ANE-2] Esarhaddon?

  • Lisbeth Fried
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Yes, of course I've read Oded's book. I was looking for something more
      recent.

      Oded discusses the many deportations into Assyria. I was wondering if there
      is any data about Esarhaddon's deportations into Samaria or Judah.

      Thank you though for the suggestion.

      Best,

      Liz Fried

      Ann Arbor

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
        Hi Liz,

        The answer, AFAIK, is no. As Trudy wrote, he might have, but there is no
        specific evidence of it. So why does Ezra 4:2 mention Esarhaddon, and not,
        say, Sargon? I'd love to know the answer to that.

        Yigal Levin

        Bar-Ilan

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
          Why does Ezra 4.1 mention Esarhaddon? Perhaps it's a characterisation showing that the opponents of the Jerusalem community were clutching at straws and making it up as they went along? They wanted to find some reason that would convince the Jerusalem community that they should be involved in the building, so they made it up. The Jerusalem community could go back to Cyrus, but they could go back to... um... er... Esarhaddon! Yes, he'll do!

          (Just thinking out loud here-or whatever the form of that saying should be when you're writing.)

          GEORGE ATHAS
          Dean of Research,
          Sydney, Australia