RE: [ANE-2] Esarhaddon?

  • Lisbeth Fried
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Good point!

      Liz Fried

      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Trudy Kawami
      Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:31 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Esarhaddon?

      As a matter of practice the Assyrian kings swapped people around all the
      time, so it would not be unusual for Esarhaddon to have done the same thing.
      When they moved "troublesome" people from one region, they brought in others
      to fill the space as unpopulated lands didn't produce revenue.

      Trudy Kawami

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
        Yes, of course I've read Oded's book. I was looking for something more
        recent.

        Oded discusses the many deportations into Assyria. I was wondering if there
        is any data about Esarhaddon's deportations into Samaria or Judah.

        Thank you though for the suggestion.

        Best,

        Liz Fried

        Ann Arbor

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
          Hi Liz,

          The answer, AFAIK, is no. As Trudy wrote, he might have, but there is no
          specific evidence of it. So why does Ezra 4:2 mention Esarhaddon, and not,
          say, Sargon? I'd love to know the answer to that.

          Yigal Levin

          Bar-Ilan

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
            Why does Ezra 4.1 mention Esarhaddon? Perhaps it's a characterisation showing that the opponents of the Jerusalem community were clutching at straws and making it up as they went along? They wanted to find some reason that would convince the Jerusalem community that they should be involved in the building, so they made it up. The Jerusalem community could go back to Cyrus, but they could go back to... um... er... Esarhaddon! Yes, he'll do!

            (Just thinking out loud here-or whatever the form of that saying should be when you're writing.)

            GEORGE ATHAS
            Dean of Research,
            Sydney, Australia