RE: [ANE-2] Esarhaddon?

  • Simeon Chavel
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Liz,
      Try Bustenay Oded's book on deportations.
      Simi
      Simeon Chavel
      Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
      The University of Chicago Divinity School
      http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml
    • Lisbeth Fried
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
        Good point!

        Liz Fried

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
          Yes, of course I've read Oded's book. I was looking for something more
          recent.

          Oded discusses the many deportations into Assyria. I was wondering if there
          is any data about Esarhaddon's deportations into Samaria or Judah.

          Thank you though for the suggestion.

          Best,

          Liz Fried

          Ann Arbor

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
            Hi Liz,

            The answer, AFAIK, is no. As Trudy wrote, he might have, but there is no
            specific evidence of it. So why does Ezra 4:2 mention Esarhaddon, and not,
            say, Sargon? I'd love to know the answer to that.

            Yigal Levin

            Bar-Ilan

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
              Why does Ezra 4.1 mention Esarhaddon? Perhaps it's a characterisation showing that the opponents of the Jerusalem community were clutching at straws and making it up as they went along? They wanted to find some reason that would convince the Jerusalem community that they should be involved in the building, so they made it up. The Jerusalem community could go back to Cyrus, but they could go back to... um... er... Esarhaddon! Yes, he'll do!

              (Just thinking out loud here-or whatever the form of that saying should be when you're writing.)

              GEORGE ATHAS
              Dean of Research,
              Sydney, Australia