Esarhaddon?

  • Lisbeth Fried
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22 2:01 PM
      Dear All,

      Do we know anything about Esarhaddon bringing people into
      Samaria/Israel/Judah?

      I.e., anything regarding any historicity to Ezra 4:2?

      Thanks for your help.

      Liz Fried

      University of Michigan

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22 2:31 PM
        As a matter of practice the Assyrian kings swapped people around all the time, so it would not be unusual for Esarhaddon to have done the same thing. When they moved "troublesome" people from one region, they brought in others to fill the space as unpopulated lands didn't produce revenue.

        Trudy Kawami

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22 2:41 PM
          Liz,
          Try Bustenay Oded's book on deportations.
          Simi
          Simeon Chavel
          Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
          The University of Chicago Divinity School
          http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml
        • Lisbeth Fried
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22 7:39 PM
            Good point!

            Liz Fried

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22 7:42 PM
              Yes, of course I've read Oded's book. I was looking for something more
              recent.

              Oded discusses the many deportations into Assyria. I was wondering if there
              is any data about Esarhaddon's deportations into Samaria or Judah.

              Thank you though for the suggestion.

              Best,

              Liz Fried

              Ann Arbor

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23 2:27 AM
                Hi Liz,

                The answer, AFAIK, is no. As Trudy wrote, he might have, but there is no
                specific evidence of it. So why does Ezra 4:2 mention Esarhaddon, and not,
                say, Sargon? I'd love to know the answer to that.

                Yigal Levin

                Bar-Ilan

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23 4:16 AM
                  Why does Ezra 4.1 mention Esarhaddon? Perhaps it's a characterisation showing that the opponents of the Jerusalem community were clutching at straws and making it up as they went along? They wanted to find some reason that would convince the Jerusalem community that they should be involved in the building, so they made it up. The Jerusalem community could go back to Cyrus, but they could go back to... um... er... Esarhaddon! Yes, he'll do!

                  (Just thinking out loud here-or whatever the form of that saying should be when you're writing.)

                  GEORGE ATHAS
                  Dean of Research,
                  Sydney, Australia