Re: [ANE-2] Inscriptions on storage jars, detailing contents?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2013
      Hi Brian:
      Something that must always be considered in non-monumental epigraphy,
      such as ostraca, ossuaries, amphorae, pithoi, is that the writing is often
      done by the "quasi-literate" like the guy at the grape or olive press that
      filled the vessel with wine or oil...or the guy at the well. More often
      than not one can expect poor execution of script and flawed orthography. I
      have studied this in ossuaria where family members use a nail to scrawl at
      the time the bones were collected. There is often a tendency among
      epigraphists to expect good execution, spelling and grammar from a society
      that was more than 95% illiterate while many of that 95% were
      quasi-literate. Even today there are highly educated who are
      spelling-challenged. Your site is awesome.
      Best,
      Jack Kilmon