SV: [ANE-2] Re: Egyptian Background for Hebrew Scholars

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 24, 2013
      Dear Jim,

      Not for long, I hope.

      It is rather typical of conservative scholarship to claim an expertise for itself which it says is not shared by critical scholars. James Barr has a chapter on this in his Fundamentalism from 1977.

      Of course not all OT scholars are Egyptologists, neither are all of them Assyriologists or Hittitologist (or whatever it is called). There are help for that, as there are experts to ask. As my professor in Arabic said: You have to choose between Arabic and Akkadian, both huge subjects. It is impossible to master both.

      Gone are the days of Eduard Meyer who regretted that he was too old to learn Hittite. Otherwise, he mastered every ancient Oriental and classical language known in his time. As far as OT studies go, he is reckoned a historical-critical scholar of the old German school.

      Besides, quite a few OT scholars know Egyptian, and quite a few know Akkadian, so this mail is simply ridiculous and misinformed. It tries to open a bogus discussion. I should perhaps only mention one of the absolute leading critical scholars, John Van Seters whose first book was devoted to the Hyksos. In Egyptology he was probably a classmate of Redford.

      Dixi

      Niels Peter Lemche

      PS: My copy of Gardiner's grammar has the accession date of May 1962. I was sixteen at that time. First year in the classical Gymnasium with Greek, Latin, English, German, and French.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 28, 2013
        Dear ANE-listers,

        I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with a list of works
        *detailing*
        1) Senusret II's irrigation and flood-management project in the Fayyum, and
        2) Tudhaliya IV's presumably similar, although much later, project near
        Alaca Höyük.

        In particular, I am interested in expert engineering reconstructions,
        including anything diagrammatic.

        With best regards,

        Michael F. Lane
        University of Maryland Baltimore County