Re: SV: [ANE-2] Licit Antiquities Trade

  • robtyenow
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
      Dear Niels,

      Your comment takes us well off topic I think, thus I hope I may be permitted just one posting in defence of 19th century British gentlemen. (Of course I agree with your main point, the preservation of sites for properly conducted excavation)

      You write:

      NPL > British officers of the Peninsula war were famous for looting. As a joke (non-verified) went, they sometime in the middle of the last century……

      I think we should take a more holistic approach to past cultures, and remember the monumental achievements of historians of that 19th century period, many of whom were entirely unpaid military men or civil servants, who worked for the love of scholarship, for instance the translations of Major Raverty, Sir H M Elliot (dead at 45 leaving about 4,000 pages of translation), the work of Codrington, Princep, Rogers, Cunningham etc.

      It has long puzzled me that a small band of private enthusiasts achieved so much in the 19th century, yet in the later 20th century, the work of translation seems to have slowed to a trickle amongst a ballooning and well funded professional culture.

      Perhaps I may add a small remembrance too of a 17th century Yorkshire soldier and amateur historian, General Fairfax, whose first act when he took Oxford for parliament in 1646 was to send guards to the Bodleian Library to protect it against looting?

      I would say more, in defence of dead amateurs and of a related complex matter, the very grave dangers of the ongoing trend of professionalization of historical studies. But please contact me off group if you wish to hear it.

      Regards

      Rob Tye, York, UK