Re: 10th Cent BCE inscription on jar from Jerusalem

  • Michael Welch
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 16, 2013
      Dear Dr. Maeir, Are ceramic assemblages dated with certitude? There is no plus or minus a century or so? You found LMLK type jars in the 830BC destruction layer of Hazael at Gath. Many scholars like Professor Stern and Drs. Lipschits, Koch, Sergi, Van der Veen and Grena say the LMLK type jars were manufactured into the 600s B.C. and even later. Unless this jar fragment from Jerusalem is really diagnostic, how can it be limited to the 9th century? Some inscription, such as the Siloam Inscription, has a distinctive Kaf/He connected by their tails. This is also true of a monumental inscription found in the last few years in Jerusalem's excavations conducted by Drs. Reich and Shukron. It is also found on the Socoh two winged sun disk LMLK stamp on LMLK jars from the reign of King Hezekiah. It could be stated that all three of these inscriptions were done by the same Jerusalem scribe around 700B.C. It could never be proven with certainty though. With pottery chronologies being refined to where Drs. Amihai Mazar and Dr. Israel Finkelstein(along with Drs. Herzog and Singer-Avitz too) are now in agreement that 950B.C. is now the beginning of Iron IIA, pottery assemblages are being redated. Apparently this early alphabetic script found on this Jerusalem jar fragment is on the Samaria Ivories which have been dated to the 9th and 8th centuries B.C., so it could be on 9th century jars. However, even with C-14 tests we do not have the ability to date an inscription or a ceramic piece precisely. There is always a plus or minus so many years. Thank you for all of your efforts.
      With Much Gratitude and Admiration,
      Sincerely Yours,
      Michael Welch
      Deltona, Florida

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "aren" <maeira@...> wrote:

      > I'm definitely not a "high chronologist" - at most a "revised conventional" and my 9th is not 8th? Would anyone seriously date the "Hazael" destruction at Gath to the 8th?
      > As to comparisons between ceramic and epigraphic typologies: The former is based on many, excellent contexts - many well-dated (historical and cosmogenic based datings), in which we can see tight stratigraphic and chronological sequencing along with distinct regional developments.
      > On the other hand, most of the epigraphic chrono-typologies are based, mostly, on non-provenanced materials, with very few examples from good, well-dated contexts. And in fact, very often, when such examples are found in context, they disagree with the conventional typologies (e.g., Cross and Stager's suggested dating of the ALWT/WLT sherd from Tell es-Safi/Gath - which flew in the face of the typology of the sherd on which it was written - and the context from which it was found!).
      > If one reads the IEJ article on the new Ophel inscription carefully, the authors note that there are two types of pithoi in the context, one early and one late, and the inscription is on the LATE type - and they even bring the 9th cent parallels to it.
      > I simply can't comprehend how people can still argue for an early date of letter types based on a simplistic comparison to letter types from other sites. First of all, as mentioned above, many of the examples come from unprovenanced or poorly contexted examples (such as ALL the bronze arrowheads, the Gezer calendar, the Ezbet Zarta sherd (which comes from a pit with an extended data, etc.). Also, the comparison to other inscriptions from diverse regions - when we clearly know that the alphabet developed at different paces in different regions and in different strata of society. Even if we eventually can build a robust chrono-typology of the development of the early Iron Age alphabetic script, one will have to take into account regional variations and "battleship curve" typological charts.
      > It's time to drop the concept that the same letter type appears all over at the same time - and disappears at the same time as well!
      >
      > Aren Maeir
      > gath.wordpress.com

    • Doug Weller
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hi Brian,

        Anyway, isn't the Samaritan Book of Joshua dated to around the 13th
        century CE, so is irrelevant?
        Doug

        Friday, July 19, 2013, 6:27:19 PM, you wrote:

        > Ian,

        > Great, so now we have to explain why we haven't found "made by
        > David" inscriptions for a dozen or more Amorite rulers?! One was challenging enough!

        > best,

        > R. Brian Roberts
        > Charlotte, NC

        Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
        Director The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
        Doug's Skeptical Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk