Hurrian logograms.

  • Miguel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2013
      Dear all,

      Might anyone know of literature dedicated specifically to the scarcity of the logographic component in the cuneiform (logo-)syllabary adapted to Hurrian?

      Thanks very much in advance,

      Miguel Valério
      Doctoral student / Fellow of the Foundation for Science and Technology
      Cultures and Languages of the Ancient World and Their Survival
      Faculty of Philology, University of Barcelona
    • alf-redu-nirari
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2013
        Dear Miguel,

        Many languages of the ANE did not make extensive use of logograms, in
        Hattusa this is true for Hattic, Palaic, Luvian and obviously Hurrian.
        While I regret I do not know specific literature on the question, I
        remember to have been taught that such scarsity was due to some sort of
        performative pressure: a logogoram might hide the correct reading in the
        intended language, a correct reading that could have been important for
        the correct performance of rituals and in general to distinguish a
        tradition.

        You probably know already these two titles, but in any case:

        Weeden M./, Hittite Logograms and Hittite Scholarship /, (StBoT 54
        <http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/hetbib/abkabfr.php?ori=www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de&tbl=hetbib&s=StBoT>)
        Wiesbaden .
        Weeden M./, Adapting to new contexts: cuneiform in Anatolia/, in: Oxford
        Handbook of Cuneiform
        <http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/hetbib/abkabfr.php?ori=www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de&tbl=hetbib&s=Oxford%20Handbook%20of%20Cuneiform>Culture
        597-617.

        al the best

        Alfredo Rizza
        Dip. Filologia, Letteratura e LInguistica, Università di Verona