Re: [ANE-2] Re: 10th Cent BCE inscription on jar from Jerusalem

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2013
      Robert - I just posed this question to ANE-2, hoping to get some insight:

      To the best of my knowledge, inscriptions on storage jars usually read,
      simply, "belonging to <name>"...but I've come up short in finding examples
      of inscriptions that have more than this - not even anything like "for the
      harvest" or "[this is] to be used for storing grain."

      I realize that people were going for brevity...but, obviously, in some
      cases just the addition of a letter or two could it this different twist.

      Surely they have to be out there, no? In any case, I'd think finding
      similar inscriptions would be crucial, if we were to argue for a
      translation like you proposed (which is very much like the one I came up
      with as well). :)

      Stewart Felker
      University of Memphis

      On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Robert Deutsch <rd@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The inscription looks as if it was incised after firing !
      > The text probably reads: k'n hprm "Here are excavations"
      >
      > Robert Deutsch
      > Tel Aviv

    • Doug Weller
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hi Brian,

        Anyway, isn't the Samaritan Book of Joshua dated to around the 13th
        century CE, so is irrelevant?
        Doug

        Friday, July 19, 2013, 6:27:19 PM, you wrote:

        > Ian,

        > Great, so now we have to explain why we haven't found "made by
        > David" inscriptions for a dozen or more Amorite rulers?! One was challenging enough!

        > best,

        > R. Brian Roberts
        > Charlotte, NC

        Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
        Director The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
        Doug's Skeptical Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk