Inscriptions on storage jars, detailing contents?

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
      I'm aware that inscriptions on storage jars (in the ANE - or at least in
      Hebrew inscriptions) usually read, simply, "belonging to <name>"...but I'm
      curious if there are known examples that have a little more than this - for
      example, perhaps something more future oriented, like "for the harvest" or
      "[this is] to be used for storing grain."

      I realize that people were going for brevity...but, obviously, in some
      cases just the addition of a letter or two could it this different twist.

      Stewart Felker,
      University of Memphis

    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
        Stewart,

        When I offered a reading of the inscription on the Ophel storage jar, as saying M or [M]M "water",
        I had in mind the Bronze Age Gezer jars with M and MM on them.

        Of course, the Jerusalem Pithos might have been a container for wine, and so wine readings are being suggested: [H.]MR (fermenting wine) and [YY]N (wine), though only one Y might be expected, as the Matres lectionis (Y and W) were not being used at this early stage; Ugaritic has simply YN, as also the Beth-Shemesh ostracon:

        https://sites.google.com/site/collesseum/winewhine

        The Gezer jars have examples of H. and Y, and other letters, which might be such abbreviated indicators of liquid commodities:
        Y (yn wine) H. (h.mr fermenting wine) T (trsh new wine) Sh (shkr beer or shemen oil) H (hlb milk) S (smk fish)

        My essay on the Ophel jar inscription is continually being updated here:

        http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/jerusalem-jar-inscription.html

        Brian Colless
        School of Humanities
        Massey University NZ

        On 11/07/2013, at 9:44 AM, Stewart Felker wrote:

        > I'm aware that inscriptions on storage jars (in the ANE - or at least in
        > Hebrew inscriptions) usually read, simply, "belonging to <name>"...but I'm
        > curious if there are known examples that have a little more than this - for
        > example, perhaps something more future oriented, like "for the harvest" or
        > "[this is] to be used for storing grain."
        >
        > I realize that people were going for brevity...but, obviously, in some
        > cases just the addition of a letter or two could it this different twist.
        >
        > Stewart Felker,
        > University of Memphis

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2013
          Hi Brian:
          Something that must always be considered in non-monumental epigraphy,
          such as ostraca, ossuaries, amphorae, pithoi, is that the writing is often
          done by the "quasi-literate" like the guy at the grape or olive press that
          filled the vessel with wine or oil...or the guy at the well. More often
          than not one can expect poor execution of script and flawed orthography. I
          have studied this in ossuaria where family members use a nail to scrawl at
          the time the bones were collected. There is often a tendency among
          epigraphists to expect good execution, spelling and grammar from a society
          that was more than 95% illiterate while many of that 95% were
          quasi-literate. Even today there are highly educated who are
          spelling-challenged. Your site is awesome.
          Best,
          Jack Kilmon

          When I offered a reading of the inscription on the Ophel storage jar, as
          saying M or [M]M "water",
          I had in mind the Bronze Age Gezer jars with M and MM on them.

          Of course, the Jerusalem Pithos might have been a container for wine, and so
          wine readings are being suggested: [H.]MR (fermenting wine) and [YY]N
          (wine), though only one Y might be expected, as the Matres lectionis (Y and
          W) were not being used at this early stage; Ugaritic has simply YN, as also
          the Beth-Shemesh ostracon:

          https://sites.google.com/site/collesseum/winewhine

          The Gezer jars have examples of H. and Y, and other letters, which might be
          such abbreviated indicators of liquid commodities:
          Y (yn wine) H. (h.mr fermenting wine) T (trsh new wine) Sh (shkr beer or
          shemen oil) H (hlb milk) S (smk fish)

          My essay on the Ophel jar inscription is continually being updated here:

          http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/jerusalem-jar-inscription.html

          Brian Colless
          School of Humanities
          Massey University NZ

          On 11/07/2013, at 9:44 AM, Stewart Felker wrote:

          > I'm aware that inscriptions on storage jars (in the ANE - or at least in
          > Hebrew inscriptions) usually read, simply, "belonging to <name>"...but I'm
          > curious if there are known examples that have a little more than this -
          > for
          > example, perhaps something more future oriented, like "for the harvest" or
          > "[this is] to be used for storing grain."
          >
          > I realize that people were going for brevity...but, obviously, in some
          > cases just the addition of a letter or two could it this different twist.
          >
          > Stewart Felker,
          > University of Memphis

        • ROBERT FEATHER
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2014
            Dearr Brian,
             The Moses book is published. Please confirm your address and I will post a copy.
             Kind regards,
             Robert   Feather