Re: [ANE-2] 10th Cent BCE inscription on jar from Jerusalem

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2013
      brian missed the video-

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=obf_apomOrA

      On 7/10/2013 9:08 AM, Brian Colless wrote:
      > The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (per Dov Smith, dovs@...) have just reported the discovery of a West Semitic inscription from Jerusalem on a pithos dated to the 10th century BCE. Photographs have been released.
      >
      > The discovery will be announced in a paper by Dr. Eilat Mazar, Prof. Shmuel Ahituv of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, and Dr. David Ben-Shlomo of the Hebrew University, following their extensive research on the artifact. Prof. Ahituv studied the inscription and Dr. Ben-Shlomo studied the composition of the ceramic materials. The paper, "An Inscribed Pithos From the Ophel," appears in the Israel Exploration Journal 63/1 (2013).
      >
      > They can not understand the inscription, but they suspect it relates to the contents or the owner.
      >
      > My reading from left to right:
      >
      > .... M R P H. N N] [ ] N
      >
      > ..M RP H.NN ......
      >
      > "NICE PURE WATER"
      >
      > M logogram or mu 'water'
      >
      > RP (root rp' "heal') 'pure, purifiied' (cp 2 Kg 2:21-22), Ezk 47:8-9)
      >
      > H.NN (root h.nn 'favour') 'nice, favourable'
      >
      > Brian Colless
      > School of Humanities
      > Massey University, NZ
      >
      > http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/
      >
      > https://sites.google.com/site/collesseum/

      ++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Petros TN
    • Doug Weller
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hi Brian,

        Anyway, isn't the Samaritan Book of Joshua dated to around the 13th
        century CE, so is irrelevant?
        Doug

        Friday, July 19, 2013, 6:27:19 PM, you wrote:

        > Ian,

        > Great, so now we have to explain why we haven't found "made by
        > David" inscriptions for a dozen or more Amorite rulers?! One was challenging enough!

        > best,

        > R. Brian Roberts
        > Charlotte, NC

        Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
        Director The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
        Doug's Skeptical Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk