Re: [ANE-2] Help with baking a tablet

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7 9:29 AM
      Larry,

      I don't know if this has ever been done - but it seems to me that if you were to fire the tablet in an electric kiln to harden the clay - you could then seep the tablet in water to dissolve the salts. But I wouldn't advise doing this unless someone has tried it on something that doesn't matter as much as your cuneiform tablet.

      I am presuming that your tablet has never been sealed in any way and was just sun-dried ? If the tablet was obtained from a site where they were accidentally fired - it could be that the tablet is impervious, in which case the salts will distintigrate it.

      You really need a conservator. But try this basic site to get a little more info: http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/tablets/tab.htm#2.6

      One more thought is the tablets need to be in a totally moisture proof container.

      Hope this helps - hope someone else will respond with more experience of preserving actual tablets.

      Bea

      Beatrice Hopkinson
      Hon. Secretary Oxford University Soc. LA Branch
      President, DBSAT (Droitwich Brine Springs and ArchaeologicalTrust)
      Board AIA (Archaeological Institute of America)
      Affiliate, Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      818 766 7780

      On Jul 6, 2013, at 1:12 AM, larryjhs01 wrote:

      Hello

      I have an UrII tablet in my vast collection, but it is rather fragile and the clay is beginning to crumble. There is also a bit of salt on the surface.

      Can anyone in the world of 'cuneiform care' provide me with baking and other instructions (I can get access to a pottery kiln).

      Thanks.

      Larry Stillman
      Monash University