Re: [ANE-2] It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
      To interject a personal note, today is the 20th anniversary of my joining
      the ANE list. I always took great pleasure in being the first non-OI
      person to join the list as indicated by the list of subscribers provided
      by majordomo. Although the list went into operation on July 2, 1993, it
      was not announced publicly outside the OI until July 6th (doubtless
      because of the intervening 4th of July holiday).

      The first announcement was sent to 11 people, but this was a time when
      email was a relatively new concept, most people were still using old
      BITNET addresses, and spam was still something that came in a can and was
      sung about by Monty Python.

      Most people who had an email account had it though their university and so
      the original discussion list was a forum for serious discussion and
      dissemination of information on conferences and the like. The Internet
      wasn't really in place yet and browsers were still in their infancy (the
      first version of Internet Explorer wasn't released until 1995) and browser
      wars were still yet to come. FTP and Gopher were vying for the taks of
      file transfer (FTP won). Most people were using DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.11
      as operating systems on their PCs. 32-bit systems for PCs were still
      years in the future.

      But with the development of the Internet came Internet service providers
      and the advent of non-university sponsored email accounts and finally free
      and anonymous email for all. This turned discussion lists like ANE into a
      free-for-all where anything went and usually did. Chuck Jones did yeoman
      work in keeping the ANE list afloat in the miasma of junk and spam for
      almost 17 years and it is not surprising that it collapsed shortly after
      he left the OI. However, Chuck's commitment to the list was great enough
      that he joined the moderating crew of the privately-run successor list,
      ANE-2, and continues to help keeping things ticking over.

      So all of us who enjoy ANE for the conversations or as a resouce for those
      who are otherwise isolated in their fields owe Chuck a great debt of
      gratitude for 20 years of service in keeping students and scholars of the
      ANE connected.

      Thanks, Chuck.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...