Re: [ANE-2] RE: It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

  • Graham Hagens
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
      has anyone thought of doing a survey of the two very different models?

      graham hagens
      hamilton, on

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
        To interject a personal note, today is the 20th anniversary of my joining
        the ANE list. I always took great pleasure in being the first non-OI
        person to join the list as indicated by the list of subscribers provided
        by majordomo. Although the list went into operation on July 2, 1993, it
        was not announced publicly outside the OI until July 6th (doubtless
        because of the intervening 4th of July holiday).

        The first announcement was sent to 11 people, but this was a time when
        email was a relatively new concept, most people were still using old
        BITNET addresses, and spam was still something that came in a can and was
        sung about by Monty Python.

        Most people who had an email account had it though their university and so
        the original discussion list was a forum for serious discussion and
        dissemination of information on conferences and the like. The Internet
        wasn't really in place yet and browsers were still in their infancy (the
        first version of Internet Explorer wasn't released until 1995) and browser
        wars were still yet to come. FTP and Gopher were vying for the taks of
        file transfer (FTP won). Most people were using DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.11
        as operating systems on their PCs. 32-bit systems for PCs were still
        years in the future.

        But with the development of the Internet came Internet service providers
        and the advent of non-university sponsored email accounts and finally free
        and anonymous email for all. This turned discussion lists like ANE into a
        free-for-all where anything went and usually did. Chuck Jones did yeoman
        work in keeping the ANE list afloat in the miasma of junk and spam for
        almost 17 years and it is not surprising that it collapsed shortly after
        he left the OI. However, Chuck's commitment to the list was great enough
        that he joined the moderating crew of the privately-run successor list,
        ANE-2, and continues to help keeping things ticking over.

        So all of us who enjoy ANE for the conversations or as a resouce for those
        who are otherwise isolated in their fields owe Chuck a great debt of
        gratitude for 20 years of service in keeping students and scholars of the
        ANE connected.

        Thanks, Chuck.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...