SV: [ANE-2] Of Moses, Ice, & Opera (was Santorini)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2006
      I believe that Mr Grena's mail explains better than many words why we are not discussing biblical historicity based on the Bible only.

      Too many postulates, too many: maybe's, too little we know, even evangelical language like "At the very least, I'd expect a prestigious university professor such as NPL to have the courtesy of distinguishing between his personal beliefs & scientific facts." What does the writer intend by this? Also the sentence: "to keep an open mind" is stock trade of evangelicalism that claims to possess an open mind contrary to professionals whose minds are closed -- because they evidently adhere to the rules of an academic discourse.

      And what about this: "I understand that scholarship requires facts, but it's good to keep an open mind in anticipation of new evidence. This is such a perfect illustration."? Are we back at Kenneth Kitchen's nonsense: Absence of evidence is not evidence of lack. I use to quote the late Robert Carroll, who countered this nonsense with: What about the sex life of Jesus in the NT: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Then the discussion immediately stops. We have to discuss on the basis of available evidence, not on the basis of what we may find some day in the future. That is the core of the matter. And that is the reason that the moderators agree on stopping discussions dealing with claims for biblical historicity that are not supported by external evidence.

      Speculating like Mr Grena will only put another card on the house of cards of biblical scholarship -- its historical part.

      And finally, theologians are just as obliged to follow logic rules for academic discussions as everybody else.

      Niels Peter Lemche