It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

  • Charles E. Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
      Today is the twentieth anniversary of the lunch of the ANE list. John Sanders and I pulled the idea together at the Oriental Institute, using borrowed equipment and software. You can still read the archive of the original configuration at:
      http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/library/ane/
      It operated in the original form from 2 July 1993 - 16 February 2006.

      Its current form ANE-2 began, in anticipation of the closing of the original list, on 15 February 2006, and is publicly archived at:

      I wrote a little bit about it in 1999 at:
      http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue21/web-editor
      It might be time for another reflection on the history of the list, but not today.

      Happy birthday to ANE and its inhabitants!

      -Chuck Jones-
      ISAW - NYU

    • Joe Zias
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
        congratulations to both of you for all the effort. and dedication over the years, we are in debt.
         Joe
        Joe Zias www.joezias.org

        Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

        Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        >________________________________

      • imbros03
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
          Congratulations!

          Aldo
          Universidad de Chile

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Charles E. Jones" <cejo@...> wrote:

          > Today is the twentieth anniversary of the lunch of the ANE list. John Sanders and I pulled the idea together at the Oriental Institute, using borrowed equipment and software. You can still read the archive of the original configuration at:
          > http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/library/ane/
          > It operated in the original form from 2 July 1993 - 16 February 2006.
          >
          > Its current form ANE-2 began, in anticipation of the closing of the original list, on 15 February 2006, and is publicly archived at:
          >
          > I wrote a little bit about it in 1999 at:
          > http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue21/web-editor
          > It might be time for another reflection on the history of the list, but not today.
          >
          > Happy birthday to ANE and its inhabitants!
          >
          > -Chuck Jones-
          > ISAW - NYU

        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
            Congrats, John & Chuck, on giving birth to a rather robust offspring. Now for a little theme music...

            Trudy S. Kawami

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
              has anyone thought of doing a survey of the two very different models?

              graham hagens
              hamilton, on

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
                To interject a personal note, today is the 20th anniversary of my joining
                the ANE list. I always took great pleasure in being the first non-OI
                person to join the list as indicated by the list of subscribers provided
                by majordomo. Although the list went into operation on July 2, 1993, it
                was not announced publicly outside the OI until July 6th (doubtless
                because of the intervening 4th of July holiday).

                The first announcement was sent to 11 people, but this was a time when
                email was a relatively new concept, most people were still using old
                BITNET addresses, and spam was still something that came in a can and was
                sung about by Monty Python.

                Most people who had an email account had it though their university and so
                the original discussion list was a forum for serious discussion and
                dissemination of information on conferences and the like. The Internet
                wasn't really in place yet and browsers were still in their infancy (the
                first version of Internet Explorer wasn't released until 1995) and browser
                wars were still yet to come. FTP and Gopher were vying for the taks of
                file transfer (FTP won). Most people were using DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.11
                as operating systems on their PCs. 32-bit systems for PCs were still
                years in the future.

                But with the development of the Internet came Internet service providers
                and the advent of non-university sponsored email accounts and finally free
                and anonymous email for all. This turned discussion lists like ANE into a
                free-for-all where anything went and usually did. Chuck Jones did yeoman
                work in keeping the ANE list afloat in the miasma of junk and spam for
                almost 17 years and it is not surprising that it collapsed shortly after
                he left the OI. However, Chuck's commitment to the list was great enough
                that he joined the moderating crew of the privately-run successor list,
                ANE-2, and continues to help keeping things ticking over.

                So all of us who enjoy ANE for the conversations or as a resouce for those
                who are otherwise isolated in their fields owe Chuck a great debt of
                gratitude for 20 years of service in keeping students and scholars of the
                ANE connected.

                Thanks, Chuck.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...