Why was Inanna hung on a 'hook', in the Descent to the Underworld?

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
      Was reading Inanna's Descent to the Underworld, and started wondering what
      exactly this signified. Is she being 'shamed'? Hung like animal meat? What
      are the connotations of the Sumerian term for 'hook' used here?

      Any insights/references to studies would be appreciated.

      Stewart Felker
      University of Memphis

    • Douglas Petrovich
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2013
        Dear List,

        Does anyone know who is the chief editor for Harrassowitz’s Ägypten und Altes Testament series? I sent an inquiry to a few people at the publisher, but so far have not heard back from any of them.

        Many thanks,

        Douglas Petrovich
        Toronto

      • Douglas Petrovich
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2013
          Dear List,

          As a follow-up to my own question, I now know that the Ägypten und Altes Testament series has changed hands from Harrassowitz to Ugarit Verlag.

          Moreover, with the passing of Prof. Manfred Görg last year, Profs. Wolfgang Zwickel and Stefan Wimmer are now overseeing the series. On a tangential note, I had great hopes of meeting Prof. Görg some day, but unfortunately this will not happen.

          Sincerely,

          Douglas Petrovich
          Toronto