AW: [ANE-2] Shoshenq I

  • Michael Banyai
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
      You are surely interested into the Rehabeam-Shoshenq synchronism. I cannot
      offer anything concerning it, even if I privately believe a synchronism
      exists, since neither the regnal year of Shoshenq as the contact happened
      may be named nor an exact chronology of the Hebrew kings is available. The
      +/- variation possibilities for Rehabeam are too big to permit a reasonable
      prediction.

      Shoshenq I reigned according to my chronology for 21 years. Manethos data
      prove to be much more robust than one could else believe. He is however
      dated 10 years later, than by Kitchen. I find also (contra Kitchen) no
      association possible between the start of the building of his court in his
      20th year and his Palestinian conquests.

      This is a huge heb-sed court planned to be ready sometime before his 30th
      year anniversary and one had to take count of the predictably long building
      time necessary to get it ready. So the decision to begin quarrying in his
      20th year was determined by the appreciated time necessary to get it built
      before the heb-sed event. The court remained unfinished because Shoshenq
      died early during this enterprise.

      There is much wishful thinking involved into the association of the 20th
      year and his Palestinian conquest. It is even imaginable, that he was
      involved just as a general under his predecessor in Palestine. There exists
      an inscription of Shoshenq I dating back to that early period, where he
      expresses his wish to be associated with the king in his festivals of
      victory. He even inscribed the name of his predecessor on a statue of
      Thuthmoses III, the great conqueror of Palestine, in Thebes, shortly after
      becoming himself a king. The association could have a meaning, but could of
      course be as well void of any special allusion.

      Regards

      Michael Banyai

      Independent scholar

      Oberursel

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
        I must correct myself – in my previous post I wrongly mentioned the Jebel
        Silsileh stele within a 20th year of Shoshenq I. Of course this has to be
        corrected to the 21st year of the same pharaoh. Too much colloquial
        confusion between a full 21 years reign and a 21st regnal year.

        Regards

        Michael Banyai

        Independent scholar

        Oberursel