Shoshenq I

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
      Dear Michael - How many regnal years did you allow Shoshenq and what dates for him do you provide? I am very interested and I may not have a chance to read your paper until Sept. Thanks

      Frank Clancy
      Kitchener, Ontario

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

      > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
      > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had to
      > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
      > account necessary.
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > Michael Bányai

    • Michael Banyai
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
        You are surely interested into the Rehabeam-Shoshenq synchronism. I cannot
        offer anything concerning it, even if I privately believe a synchronism
        exists, since neither the regnal year of Shoshenq as the contact happened
        may be named nor an exact chronology of the Hebrew kings is available. The
        +/- variation possibilities for Rehabeam are too big to permit a reasonable
        prediction.

        Shoshenq I reigned according to my chronology for 21 years. Manethos data
        prove to be much more robust than one could else believe. He is however
        dated 10 years later, than by Kitchen. I find also (contra Kitchen) no
        association possible between the start of the building of his court in his
        20th year and his Palestinian conquests.

        This is a huge heb-sed court planned to be ready sometime before his 30th
        year anniversary and one had to take count of the predictably long building
        time necessary to get it ready. So the decision to begin quarrying in his
        20th year was determined by the appreciated time necessary to get it built
        before the heb-sed event. The court remained unfinished because Shoshenq
        died early during this enterprise.

        There is much wishful thinking involved into the association of the 20th
        year and his Palestinian conquest. It is even imaginable, that he was
        involved just as a general under his predecessor in Palestine. There exists
        an inscription of Shoshenq I dating back to that early period, where he
        expresses his wish to be associated with the king in his festivals of
        victory. He even inscribed the name of his predecessor on a statue of
        Thuthmoses III, the great conqueror of Palestine, in Thebes, shortly after
        becoming himself a king. The association could have a meaning, but could of
        course be as well void of any special allusion.

        Regards

        Michael Banyai

        Independent scholar

        Oberursel

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael
        Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
        > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had
        > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
        > account necessary.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Michael Bányai

      • Michael Banyai
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
          I must correct myself – in my previous post I wrongly mentioned the Jebel
          Silsileh stele within a 20th year of Shoshenq I. Of course this has to be
          corrected to the 21st year of the same pharaoh. Too much colloquial
          confusion between a full 21 years reign and a 21st regnal year.

          Regards

          Michael Banyai

          Independent scholar

          Oberursel