25th Dynasty

  • Michael Banyai
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
      Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had to
      revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
      account necessary.

      Regards,

      Michael Bányai

      Independent scholar

      Oberursel

    • frankclancy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
        Dear Michael - How many regnal years did you allow Shoshenq and what dates for him do you provide? I am very interested and I may not have a chance to read your paper until Sept. Thanks

        Frank Clancy
        Kitchener, Ontario

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
        > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had to
        > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
        > account necessary.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Michael Bányai

      • Michael Banyai
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
          You are surely interested into the Rehabeam-Shoshenq synchronism. I cannot
          offer anything concerning it, even if I privately believe a synchronism
          exists, since neither the regnal year of Shoshenq as the contact happened
          may be named nor an exact chronology of the Hebrew kings is available. The
          +/- variation possibilities for Rehabeam are too big to permit a reasonable
          prediction.

          Shoshenq I reigned according to my chronology for 21 years. Manethos data
          prove to be much more robust than one could else believe. He is however
          dated 10 years later, than by Kitchen. I find also (contra Kitchen) no
          association possible between the start of the building of his court in his
          20th year and his Palestinian conquests.

          This is a huge heb-sed court planned to be ready sometime before his 30th
          year anniversary and one had to take count of the predictably long building
          time necessary to get it ready. So the decision to begin quarrying in his
          20th year was determined by the appreciated time necessary to get it built
          before the heb-sed event. The court remained unfinished because Shoshenq
          died early during this enterprise.

          There is much wishful thinking involved into the association of the 20th
          year and his Palestinian conquest. It is even imaginable, that he was
          involved just as a general under his predecessor in Palestine. There exists
          an inscription of Shoshenq I dating back to that early period, where he
          expresses his wish to be associated with the king in his festivals of
          victory. He even inscribed the name of his predecessor on a statue of
          Thuthmoses III, the great conqueror of Palestine, in Thebes, shortly after
          becoming himself a king. The association could have a meaning, but could of
          course be as well void of any special allusion.

          Regards

          Michael Banyai

          Independent scholar

          Oberursel

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael
          Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

          > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
          > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had
          > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
          > account necessary.
          >

          > Regards,
          >

          > Michael Bányai

        • Michael Banyai
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
            I must correct myself – in my previous post I wrongly mentioned the Jebel
            Silsileh stele within a 20th year of Shoshenq I. Of course this has to be
            corrected to the 21st year of the same pharaoh. Too much colloquial
            confusion between a full 21 years reign and a 21st regnal year.

            Regards

            Michael Banyai

            Independent scholar

            Oberursel