Re: Book of the Dead Spell 159- Who are they?

  • serapisliber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2013
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "neseret" <mafdet@...> wrote:

      > When you asked this question on another list, you were given very good reasons to understand that the "nursing goddess" is Renenet, who is the traditional nursing goddess of the king, and who is often considered the consort or daughter of Geb (that source cited Naville/Renouf's 1904 translation of the name for the "nursing goddess" in this chapter as "Renenet," as well as a similar translation from the German Totenbuch Projekt).

      Ah, yes, I just came from there actually. That was a huge help. Surprisingly Naville's translation and footnote made more sense of the spell, to me at least.

      > Renenet's name comes from /rnn/ "to nurse" (CDME: 150), which is supplemented by a determinative of a nursing female sitting on a chair with a baby suckling. So when one reads "nursing goddess" in the BD texts, it is rendered as /Rnn.t/ (CDME: 151), 'Renenet', "she who suckles/nurses," and in this case, given a goddess determinative.
      >
      > It is difficult to find a full rendering of the Book of the Dead in glyphs with Spell 159 within (Naville's 1886 rendering of the Book of the Dead doesn't include the spell, for example), but I was able to find a glyph rendering of BD 159 in an 1894 work which reproduced the Turin Papyrus version of this spell, which I have scanned and then highlighted in yellow the section that reads as "Bull of the Nursing Goddess," /kA n Rnn.t/, and placed it online for you to see:
      >
      > <http://www.hekau.net/images/BD-159-Renenet.jpg>
      >
      > You may also wish to consult Faulkner's other work on the Book of the Dead, with Carol Andrews (2010 (1985)), which has a hieratic facsimile of BD 159 on p. 154, cited below.
      >
      > According to Hart's work on gods and goddesses (1986: 185), the syncretisation of Renenet with Isis does not occur until the Ptolemaic period where Renenet's name is rendered as Hermouthis, and identified with Isis at that time.

      Excellent info. Much appreciated. I was not aware there was ever an identification of Renenet with Isis. I had only taken a guess at Isis because she has repeatedly been invoked in the several spells preceding 159, I was just going with the flow, so to speak.

      > So, at the time that the Book of the Dead is written in the New Kingdom, Renenet and Isis were considered separate deities, and for that reason, I would not suggest an identification of the "nursing goddess" with either Isis or Nut, but rather with Renenet.
      >
      > Further, I am not aware of any epithet for Nut which identifies her as a "nursing goddess," for example, but if you have any such evidence, please feel free to detail it here.

      Oh, no, lol, I don't have any evidence for that, I only proposed Nut's candidacy as a result of the convoluted syllogism from my previous guess at Isis being the "she". If Isis is "she," then her "father" is likely Geb, thus the goddess whose bull he is was likely Nut or Tefnut. Or so I thought. Seems I was way off though.

      I also don't know of Nut explicitly being called a "nursing goddess." I was simply reminded of a reference or two in the Pyramid Texts to Nut nursing the king/Osiris, and doing so as a cow, which brought me back around to the bull correlation.

      But ultimately all of that is neither here nor there, as I think this is matter has pretty much been resolved for me, thanks to the help of yourself and "Lutz" from the other list you mentioned.

      Nhiyalle Bazuel
      Chattanooga, TN