25th Dynasty

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Hello - have scholars finally agreed on a date when the 25th Dynasty arrived in Egypt? Pianky seems to be moving backwards in time - at least, it seems that way to me. I wish I could do the same!

      Frank Clancy
      Kitchener, Ontario
    • Michael Banyai
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
        Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had to
        revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
        account necessary.

        Regards,

        Michael Bányai

        Independent scholar

        Oberursel

      • frankclancy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
          Dear Michael - How many regnal years did you allow Shoshenq and what dates for him do you provide? I am very interested and I may not have a chance to read your paper until Sept. Thanks

          Frank Clancy
          Kitchener, Ontario

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

          > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
          > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had to
          > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
          > account necessary.
          >

          > Regards,
          >

          > Michael Bányai

        • Michael Banyai
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
            You are surely interested into the Rehabeam-Shoshenq synchronism. I cannot
            offer anything concerning it, even if I privately believe a synchronism
            exists, since neither the regnal year of Shoshenq as the contact happened
            may be named nor an exact chronology of the Hebrew kings is available. The
            +/- variation possibilities for Rehabeam are too big to permit a reasonable
            prediction.

            Shoshenq I reigned according to my chronology for 21 years. Manethos data
            prove to be much more robust than one could else believe. He is however
            dated 10 years later, than by Kitchen. I find also (contra Kitchen) no
            association possible between the start of the building of his court in his
            20th year and his Palestinian conquests.

            This is a huge heb-sed court planned to be ready sometime before his 30th
            year anniversary and one had to take count of the predictably long building
            time necessary to get it ready. So the decision to begin quarrying in his
            20th year was determined by the appreciated time necessary to get it built
            before the heb-sed event. The court remained unfinished because Shoshenq
            died early during this enterprise.

            There is much wishful thinking involved into the association of the 20th
            year and his Palestinian conquest. It is even imaginable, that he was
            involved just as a general under his predecessor in Palestine. There exists
            an inscription of Shoshenq I dating back to that early period, where he
            expresses his wish to be associated with the king in his festivals of
            victory. He even inscribed the name of his predecessor on a statue of
            Thuthmoses III, the great conqueror of Palestine, in Thebes, shortly after
            becoming himself a king. The association could have a meaning, but could of
            course be as well void of any special allusion.

            Regards

            Michael Banyai

            Independent scholar

            Oberursel

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael
            Banyai" <michael.banyai@...> wrote:

            > Hi. I reworked the complete time-frame from Shoshenq I till year 1 of
            > Psammetich I. Even Taharka got an year less. The funniest was, that I had
            > revert the order Shabaqo-Shebtiqo. Much dirty work. Partly an year by year
            > account necessary.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Michael Bányai

          • Michael Banyai
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
              I must correct myself – in my previous post I wrongly mentioned the Jebel
              Silsileh stele within a 20th year of Shoshenq I. Of course this has to be
              corrected to the 21st year of the same pharaoh. Too much colloquial
              confusion between a full 21 years reign and a 21st regnal year.

              Regards

              Michael Banyai

              Independent scholar

              Oberursel