Re: [ANE-2] ANE Epikleros?

  • Simeon Chavel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Stephanie,
      Materials on this topic have been gathered by Z. Ben-Barak, Inheritance by Daughters in Israel and the Ancient Near East, but you might have to draw your own conclusions from the material.
      Simi Chavel
      Simeon Chavel
      Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
      The University of Chicago Divinity School
      http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml

      On Jun 19, 2013, at 9:39 PM, sbudin <sbudin@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, All!
      >
      > Is there any evidence for the phenomenon of the female heir in the
      > ANE? That is, a female with no brothers who either inherited the
      > paternal estate within certain parameters, or who might have been
      > legally/socially/religiously recognized as male for the sake of
      > maintaining the ancestral cult. What rights and responsibilities did
      > they have? What is the critical bibliography?
      >
      > Very many thanks in advance!
      > Stephanie Budin
      > Rutgers University, Camden

    • sbudin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        Very many thanks to everyone who replied on- and off-list to my
        query! All the bibliography proved extremely useful!

        All Best Regards,
        Stephanie Budin
        Rutgers University, Camden