ANE Epikleros?

  • sbudin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Greetings, All!

      Is there any evidence for the phenomenon of the female heir in the
      ANE? That is, a female with no brothers who either inherited the
      paternal estate within certain parameters, or who might have been
      legally/socially/religiously recognized as male for the sake of
      maintaining the ancestral cult. What rights and responsibilities did
      they have? What is the critical bibliography?

      Very many thanks in advance!
      Stephanie Budin
      Rutgers University, Camden
    • Simeon Chavel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
        Stephanie,
        Materials on this topic have been gathered by Z. Ben-Barak, Inheritance by Daughters in Israel and the Ancient Near East, but you might have to draw your own conclusions from the material.
        Simi Chavel
        Simeon Chavel
        Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
        The University of Chicago Divinity School
        http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml

        On Jun 19, 2013, at 9:39 PM, sbudin <sbudin@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, All!
        >
        > Is there any evidence for the phenomenon of the female heir in the
        > ANE? That is, a female with no brothers who either inherited the
        > paternal estate within certain parameters, or who might have been
        > legally/socially/religiously recognized as male for the sake of
        > maintaining the ancestral cult. What rights and responsibilities did
        > they have? What is the critical bibliography?
        >
        > Very many thanks in advance!
        > Stephanie Budin
        > Rutgers University, Camden

      • George F Somsel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
          27 Then the daughters of Zelophehad came forward. Zelophehad was son of Hepher son of Gilead son of Machir son of Manasseh son of Joseph, a member of the Manassite clans. The names of his daughters were: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. 2 They stood before Moses, Eleazar the priest, the leaders, and all the congregation, at the entrance of the tent of meeting, and they said, 3 "Our father died in the wilderness; he was not among the company of those who gathered themselves together against the Lord in the company of Korah, but died for his own sin; and he had no sons. 4 Why should the name of our father be taken away from his clan because he had no son? Give to us a possession among our father’s brothers."
          5 Moses brought their case before the Lord. 6 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 7 The daughters of Zelophehad are right in what they are saying; you shall indeed let them possess an inheritance among their father’s brothers and pass the inheritance of their father on to them. 8 You shall also say to the Israelites, "If a man dies, and has no son, then you shall pass his inheritance on to his daughter. 9 If he has no daughter, then you shall give his inheritance to his brothers. 10 If he has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to his father’s brothers. 11 And if his father has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to the nearest kinsman of his clan, and he shall possess it. It shall be for the Israelites a statute and ordinance, as the Lord commanded Moses."
          Num 27.1-11 NRSV

          george

          gfsomsel

           search for truth, hear truth, learn truth,
           love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
           defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          >________________________________

        • Robert Deutsch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
            Hi Stephanie

            There is the book: "Inheritance by Daughters in Israel and the Near East"
            by Zafrira Ben Barak from the Haifa Univ.
            Archaeological Center Publications, 2006

            Best Regards
            Robert Deutsch

            At 05:39 20/06/2013, you wrote:

            >Greetings, All!
            >
            >Is there any evidence for the phenomenon of the female heir in the
            >ANE? That is, a female with no brothers who either inherited the
            >paternal estate within certain parameters, or who might have been
            >legally/socially/religiously recognized as male for the sake of
            >maintaining the ancestral cult. What rights and responsibilities did
            >they have? What is the critical bibliography?
            >
            >Very many thanks in advance!
            >Stephanie Budin
            >Rutgers University, Camden

          • sbudin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
              Very many thanks to everyone who replied on- and off-list to my
              query! All the bibliography proved extremely useful!

              All Best Regards,
              Stephanie Budin
              Rutgers University, Camden